Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Running another program out of excel

I want to run "ftp" from VBA Excel. That means starting the program,
executing commands, and getting back the output of the FTP program into VBA
for analysis. I can issue all the commands I need if I'm in the "CMD"
window, but I don't know how to connect it to VBA.

Anyone have any ideas of how to do that?

Mac
Berkeley, CA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This might help. Not sure.

http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk...excelhowto.htm

Scroll down to:

How to Open Documents from FTP Site and Save Documents to FTP Site with an
Office XP Program

"Mac Lingo" wrote:

I want to run "ftp" from VBA Excel. That means starting the program,
executing commands, and getting back the output of the FTP program into VBA
for analysis. I can issue all the commands I need if I'm in the "CMD"
window, but I don't know how to connect it to VBA.

Anyone have any ideas of how to do that?

Mac
Berkeley, CA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default No that isn't what I need to do

"JLGWhiz"

Thanks for the input. That's interesting, but not what I am trying to do.

I need to read directories off the ftp site to compare dates between what's
stored and what's on my computer to see if a file needs to be backed up to
the site. So I really need to be able to send instructions to the FTP
program and retreive the resulting text.

Mac

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You have a few options

1. Use the Wininet library - you can look on the msdn and see examples of
how it works. This means writing vba that calls Win32 api functions - not
for beginners.

2. Use vba to create a windows scripting host object and use that. Search
this newsgroup for my name or the topic "Shell Function - Execute DOS
Command" and you can see some examples.

Neither is a great way of doing this, if you are an experienced developer I
suggest option 1, if not then go with option 2.

Good luck.
--
http://www.alignment-systems.com