Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default "Bouncing Bar" progress indicator control?

I've been asked to see if it's possible to get a "bouncing bar"
progress indicator control in Excel.

A "bouncing bar" is the kind of progress indicator that looks like a
normal progress indicator, but instead of the bar filling up from left
to right, a short section of bar bounces from left to right,
indicating that the program is busy but not indicating how much
progress has been made -- as for a database retrieval, where you don't
know how long the task is going to take.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

There are a few variation on the progress theme here
http://www.andypope.info/vba/pmeter.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Greg Lovern" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been asked to see if it's possible to get a "bouncing bar"
progress indicator control in Excel.

A "bouncing bar" is the kind of progress indicator that looks like a
normal progress indicator, but instead of the bar filling up from left
to right, a short section of bar bounces from left to right,
indicating that the program is busy but not indicating how much
progress has been made -- as for a database retrieval, where you don't
know how long the task is going to take.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, those look great.

But if I put the code that retrieves the database data where your code
indicates, wouldn't Excel stop to retrieve all the data before
animating the progress indicator?

Is it possible for an ADO database data retrieval to be asynchroneous,
so that I can animate your progress indicator while it runs?

Thanks,

Greg

On Aug 24, 2:09 am, "Andy Pope" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If all of the delay is whilst executing 1 statement, in your case a
retrieval of data, any coded approach will not work.

What you could do is use an animated gif in a webbrowser control on a
userform. But unless the delay is really long a simple 'Please Wait' is
best. Ivan F Moala has an example.
http://www.xcelfiles.com/Excel04.html#anchor_59

Cheers
Andy

Greg Lovern wrote:
Thanks, those look great.

But if I put the code that retrieves the database data where your code
indicates, wouldn't Excel stop to retrieve all the data before
animating the progress indicator?

Is it possible for an ADO database data retrieval to be asynchroneous,
so that I can animate your progress indicator while it runs?

Thanks,

Greg

On Aug 24, 2:09 am, "Andy Pope" wrote:

Hi,