Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Open Text based on creation date

Is there a way to open a text file based on the date it was created.
When I run my macro I want it to open the most recent text file in a
specific folder. currently I'm opening my text through a user command
pop-up window. Thanks

UF = Application.GetOpenFilename(FileFilter:=".TXT
Files(*.txt),*.txt", Title:="Satlog Measured")

Workbooks.Open Filename:=UF, Format:=2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This will give you the path and file name to the most recently modified txt
file in "C:\Test"

Sub FindNewestTextFile()
strFolderPath = "C:\Test"

Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strFolderPath)

dtmLatestDate = 0
Set colFiles = objFolder.Files

For Each objFile In colFiles
If objFSO.GetExtensionName(objFile) = "txt" Then
If objFile.DateLastModified dtmLatestDate Then
dtmLatestDate = objFile.DateLastModified
strLatestFile = objFile.Path
Next objFile

If Not dtmLatestDate = 0 Then
MsgBox strLatestFile
End If

Set objFolder = Nothing
Set objFSO = Nothing

Steve Yandl
wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 1, 11:50 am, wrote:
Is there a way to open a text file based on the date it was created.
When I run my macro I want it to open the most recent text file in a
specific folder. currently I'm opening my text through a user command
pop-up window. Thanks

UF = Application.GetOpenFilename(FileFilter:=".TXT
Files(*.txt),*.txt", Title:="Satlog Measured")

Workbooks.Open Filename:=UF, Format:=2

Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Aug 1, 3:19 pm, "Steve Yandl" wrote:
This will give you the path and file name to the most recently modified txt
file in "C:\Test"

Sub FindNewestTextFile()
strFolderPath = "C:\Test"

Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strFolderPath)

dtmLatestDate = 0
Set colFiles = objFolder.Files

For Each objFile In colFiles
If objFSO.GetExtensionName(objFile) = "txt" Then
If objFile.DateLastModified dtmLatestDate Then
dtmLatestDate = objFile.DateLastModified
strLatestFile = objFile.Path
Next objFile

If Not dtmLatestDate = 0 Then
MsgBox strLatestFile
End If

Set objFolder = Nothing
Set objFSO = Nothing

Steve wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 1, 11:50 am, wrote:
Is there a way to open a text file based on the date it was created.
When I run my macro I want it to open the most recent text file in a
specific folder. currently I'm opening my text through a user command
pop-up window. Thanks

UF = Application.GetOpenFilename(FileFilter:=".TXT
Files(*.txt),*.txt", Title:="Satlog Measured")

Workbooks.Open Filename:=UF, Format:=2

Can anyone help?- Hide quoted text -

What is all of the Dims I tried making most of them as objects but
they wont work still

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Carlos,

If you first go to 'Tools References' and set a reference to 'Microsoft
Scripting Runtime', you can dim objFSO as "Scripting.FileSystemObject" and
the folder as "Scripting.Folder".

You can also get away with just what I gave you but change the string at the
top to the folder you're actually wanting to check and rather than
generating a message box you would want to feed the file name string to
whatever code you have in your VBA subroutine.

Steve