Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default SQL

I am fairly new at SQL and VBA.

I am working with a very large database. For simplicity sake, let's assume
the database is for a rental company and it records the number of kilometers
driven on different dates and for different cars.

I have created a query that can successfully pull the data for one car
between given dates. But what I would like to do is pull data for many cars
(not all cars) for different dates and organize them in a table like this:

Car 1 Car 3 Car 4
1/1/2007 50 105 104
1/2/2007 34 15 30
1/3/2007 5 157 26

I could take the query I have, and create a VBA loop to query for every car
I want. Is this the most efficient way to do this? It seems "wasteful".

Thank you,
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

you can do:
car in ("car 1","car 3","car 4")

then look at pivot tables to arange the results.

Peter Richardson

"C. Bailey" wrote:

I am fairly new at SQL and VBA.

I am working with a very large database. For simplicity sake, let's assume
the database is for a rental company and it records the number of kilometers
driven on different dates and for different cars.

I have created a query that can successfully pull the data for one car
between given dates. But what I would like to do is pull data for many cars
(not all cars) for different dates and organize them in a table like this:

Car 1 Car 3 Car 4
1/1/2007 50 105 104
1/2/2007 34 15 30
1/3/2007 5 157 26

I could take the query I have, and create a VBA loop to query for every car
I want. Is this the most efficient way to do this? It seems "wasteful".

Thank you,
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"C. Bailey" wrote in message
I am fairly new at SQL and VBA.

I am working with a very large database. For simplicity sake, let's
assume the database is for a rental company and it records the number of
kilometers driven on different dates and for different cars.

I have created a query that can successfully pull the data for one car
between given dates. But what I would like to do is pull data for many
cars (not all cars) for different dates and organize them in a table like
this:

Car 1 Car 3 Car 4
1/1/2007 50 105 104
1/2/2007 34 15 30
1/3/2007 5 157 26

Hi C. Bailey,
I think I have the same problem : a very large database and some times I
want to extract a specific list.What I do is make a new table in the
Database , sometimes just manually if the list is not that long , sometimes
in VBA or in Excel.The table above would be a perfect example of what I
mean.Than call this new table : ProjectX.Than do a query which contains a
join (using the date in your example )between the database and the ProjectX
table where the ProjectX table is the feeder table.

hth
Gys