Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Get value in last non-zero value cell in column

Hi,

I can find the first empty cell in a column, but I'm hoping someone
can help me when the cell 'looks empty', but there's a formula in the
cell that results in zero.

Specifically, I'm trying to put the value in cell E34 in another
worksheet called AP-AR. The value should be the last non-zero result
from formuals in column H starting from H9 and going down.

Cells from H9 down have formulas in them like this =IF(AND(F14=0,
G14=0), 0, +H13-F14+G14). They're cumulative totals of credits and
debits with the last H column value being the bank balance.

Thanks everyone. What a wonderful resource this newsgroup is. I've
learned so much and met so many nice people! I do my share of
volunteering in other ways and I hope your kind help here comes back
to you, too.

Michele J. Jones, PMP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 08:02:28 -0700, mjones
wrote:

Hi,

I can find the first empty cell in a column, but I'm hoping someone
can help me when the cell 'looks empty', but there's a formula in the
cell that results in zero.

Specifically, I'm trying to put the value in cell E34 in another
worksheet called AP-AR. The value should be the last non-zero result
from formuals in column H starting from H9 and going down.

Cells from H9 down have formulas in them like this =IF(AND(F14=0,
G14=0), 0, +H13-F14+G14). They're cumulative totals of credits and
debits with the last H column value being the bank balance.

Thanks everyone. What a wonderful resource this newsgroup is. I've
learned so much and met so many nice people! I do my share of
volunteering in other ways and I hope your kind help here comes back
to you, too.

Michele J. Jones, PMP

This array-entered formula will return the last non-zero numeric value in your
range:

=LOOKUP(9.99E+307,IF(H9:H65535=0,"",H9:H65535))

To array-enter a formula, hold down <ctrl<shift while hitting <enter. Excel
will place braces {...} around the formula.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:

[...]

--ron- Hide quoted text -

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the response. I never would have figured that one out.
Can you explain what 9.99E+307 means?

I do understand arrays, and have entered the formula just like you
said, but I'm getting #VALUE!.

Could it be the cell formats? The last H non-zero value comes from
H14 and its format is _(_($* #,##0.00_)_);_(_($*
(#,##0.00)_);_(_( ""_)_);_(_(@_)_). Your formula is in a cell with
this format _(_($* #,##0.00_)_);[Red]_(_($* (#,##0.00)_);_(_($* "-"??
_)_);_(_(@_)_).

What do you think?

Warm regards,

Michele

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

did you enter it by doing Ctrl+Shift+Enter rather than just enter.

when you select the cell and look at it in the formula bar does it look like
this:

{=LOOKUP(9.99E+307,IF(H9:H65535=0,"",H9:H65535))}

the brackets are displayed by excel to indicate that it is being interpreted
as an array formula.

Do you have a number not zero past cell H8?

It worked for me when used on the same sheet and if I put sheet references
in the formula I would expect it to work refering to another sheet.

the technique is to lookup a very large number. It then returns the last
number it finds. The IF statement section returns the actual value of all
the cells except cells which contain a zero - it returns an empty string for
this. This result is addressed by the Lookup formula.
Tom Ogilvy

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:

[...]

Michele- Hide quoted text -

Hi Tom and Ron,

I'm an idiot. H9 is in another worksheet called Bank so I needed to
say:

=LOOKUP(9.99E+307,IF(Bank!H9:H65535=0,"",Bank!H9:H 65535)). Now it
works.

I really appreciate the help and info,

Michele

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 15:19:22 -0700, mjones
wrote:

Hi Tom and Ron,

I'm an idiot. H9 is in another worksheet called Bank so I needed to
say:

=LOOKUP(9.99E+307,IF(Bank!H9:H65535=0,"",Bank!H9: H65535)). Now it
works.

I really appreciate the help and info,

Michele

Glad to help and glad you got it working. Thanks for the feedback.
--ron