Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Find all possible combinations of unique letters

Im not sure if this belongs in the programming DG or the functions DG, but
here goes€¦ I am trying to get Excel to give me all possible combinations of
letters. For example, A and B could be combined into A, B, and AB, to yield
three combinations. A and B and C could be combined into A, B, C, AB, AC,
BC, and ABC, which yields seven combinations. A, B, C, and D yields 15
combinations, and so on and so forth. Id like to get Excel to do this for
me for larger sets (specifically, A, B, C, D, and E). I believe the logic
would be 2^variables-1. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cordially,
Ryan---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, this is close, but not quite what Im looking for. Below is a sample
of what I am trying to achieve. Three letters, A, B, and C, give the
following combinations:

A B C
AB BC
AC
ABC

I am looking for combinations of A, B, C, D, and E. I believe the final
result would be 2^n-1 number of combinations. The J-Walk example is great,
but I dont want to find all combinations of all letters, just some kind of
subset of combinations, as the example above demonstrates (not exactly sure
what to call it). Sorry, I guess the title in my post was misleading.

Cordially,
Ryan--

"ryguy7272" wrote in message
I'm not sure if this belongs in the programming DG or the functions DG, but
here goes. I am trying to get Excel to give me all possible combinations of
letters. For example, A and B could be combined into A, B, and AB, to yield
three combinations. A and B and C could be combined into A, B, C, AB, AC,
BC, and ABC, which yields seven combinations. A, B, C, and D yields 15
combinations, and so on and so forth. I'd like to get Excel to do this for
me for larger sets (specifically, A, B, C, D, and E). I believe the logic
would be 2^variables-1. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cordially,
Ryan---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks to all who viewed this question.
I found the answer I was after on an old post:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1