Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Print Causes Sheet Performace to Drop

I am working on a spreadsheet that I inherited and I am having a problem. One
of the sheets performs fine until I do anything to print the sheet or to
modify any of the print settings. After that the sheet performance drops off
and any actions slow down to a crawl (even just scrolling up an down is
painfully slow). It only effects this one sheet and all other sheets perform
fine. The only way to fix the sheet is to close the spreadsheet and then
reopen it. It will once again work fine until I do anything associated with
the print functionallity. Before I go ahead and delete and re-create the
sheet (a task I am not looking forward to as it is full of named ranges and
such) I was wondering if anyone else has seen and rectified this problem. I
suspect that somehow the sheet has become corrupted in some way but I was
hoping someone else might have some guidance here.

As an aside it intermitenetly had the bizzare side effect of spontaneously
turning on Chip Pearson's RowLiner Addin when the print functionallity was
accessed. I completely removed the addin from my system but I am still having
the problem.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nope... The issue actually comes up if I do something as simple as insert a
page break or a print preview... It seems like anything to do with printing
causes the problem. I have also tried using Code Cleaner and opening it on a
different machine. I am guessing corruption.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

Jim Thomlinson wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Can you open the same workbook on another pc to test it?

And when you tested the other printer (or printer driver) did you use a local
printer or a network printer?

Jim Thomlinson wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

figure you already have something like this, but i thought i'd throw it out
here, anyway.

it creates the code to recreate the ranges in the immediate window. then they
can be copied and pasted into a module to recreate the ranges.

like i said, not that you don't already have something, but maybe someone else
doesn't.

Sub create_ranges2() '
Dim nm As Name
sName = ActiveSheet.Name
For Each nm In ThisWorkbook.Names
Debug.Print "ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:=" & """" & nm.Name & """" & _
", Refersto:=""" & "=" & sName & "!" & Range(nm).Address & """"

Next nm

Gary

Jim Thomlinson wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I just use name manager... It was really pretty painless.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

Jim Thomlinson wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Modifying print setting on other sheets or printing other sheets does not
cause a problem. Just this one sheet. I have tried other PC's...

So now I have recreated the sheet and deleted the old sheet. This has partly
fixed my problem. Now the sheets performance is fine except after I modify
the print settings any code that runs goes at a very slow pace. In debug mode
it takes each line about 1 or 2 seconds to execute... The end user
performance is fine. Scrolling and data entry is at a normal pace. Just code
execution is compromised...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

Jim Thomlinson wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do you have any (hidden) shapes on that worksheet?

msgbox activesheet.shapes.count

may help you determine if there are invisible shapes that are slowing you down.