Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Statistical summary of bucketed data

Hi,

I have two columns of data. The first contains a value, and the 2nd contains
the frequency of this value's occurance.

eg., The 1st 3 rows may look like:
Life Freq
1 4
2 6
3 10
..
..
..

I want to get excel to spit out summary statistics such as mean, std. dev.
etc.
I tried using the data analysis tool, but that works for a bunch of cells
that have the values, not value-frequency pairs. There are more that 1
million data points, so I don't want to create a new sheet and spit out all
the values as many times as they occur, and then use the data analysis tool.
Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am a little unclear exactly what you are trying to do but I think you might
want a pivot table. You can place your values into the rows and calculate
your averages and standard deviations for each value.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"vivmaha" wrote:

Hi,

I have two columns of data. The first contains a value, and the 2nd contains
the frequency of this value's occurance.

eg., The 1st 3 rows may look like:
Life Freq
1 4
2 6
3 10
.
.
.

I want to get excel to spit out summary statistics such as mean, std. dev.
etc.
I tried using the data analysis tool, but that works for a bunch of cells
that have the values, not value-frequency pairs. There are more that 1
million data points, so I don't want to create a new sheet and spit out all
the values as many times as they occur, and then use the data analysis tool.
Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I dont think a pivot table is what i want.
I have a column with values, and another which has the frequency of each of
these values. Is that what a pivot table is for?