Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Link Not Embed Images from URL

I was using the Shapes.AddPicture method to link pictures stored on the
Internet to my spreadsheet, but then we upgraded to Excel 2007 and I had to
start using Shapes.AddShape along with the Fill.UserPicture method.

The AddPicture method allows for embedded pictures, even if the image is
stored on the Internet by setting LinkToFile = True and SaveWithDocument =
False.

Set oPicture = ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddPicture(FileName:=
€œhttp://www.website.com/test_image.jpg€, LinkToFile:=msoTrue,
SaveWithDocument:=msoFalse, iLeft, iTop, iWidth, iHeight)

But UserPicture does not seem to allow for linking. Is there a way to avoid
embedding pictures using the UserPicture method?

Set oPicture = ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddShape(msoShapeRectangle, iLeft, iTop,
iWidth, iHeight)
oPicture.Fill.UserPicture oFileName

In a perfect world Microsoft would fix the AddPicture using URL problem in
Excel 2007. For the time being, however, I just need the images showing in my
spreadsheet to be linked (not embedded) to images on the Internet.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This is a link to the Microsoft KB article about the AddPicture method
problem when used in Excel 2007 on images "located in an HTTP location":

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/928983/en-us