Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Compare values in a column

I need help with a macro that checks that cells values in column A are
increasing by one increment. In Column A i put receipts numbers. I want to be
able to check if all receipts have been recorded. for example, if column A
looks like this:

1 100
2 101
3 103
4 104
5 105

All values are increasing by 1, except the value in cell A3 increased by 2.
Which means that Receipt Number 102 hasn't been recorded.
I want the macro to go through cells in column A, and once it detects a gap,
the cell fill colour (cell A3 in the above example) turns red.

I'm using Excel 2003.

Many thanks
Tendresse

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JMB JMB is offline

Perhaps consider conditional formatting. Assuming your data is in A1:A100,
select cells A2:A100, then Format/Conditional Formatting
Formula Is: =a2-a1<1
then select Format/Pattern-Red. OK out.

"Tendresse" wrote:

I need help with a macro that checks that cells values in column A are
increasing by one increment. In Column A i put receipts numbers. I want to be
able to check if all receipts have been recorded. for example, if column A
looks like this:

1 100
2 101
3 103
4 104
5 105

All values are increasing by 1, except the value in cell A3 increased by 2.
Which means that Receipt Number 102 hasn't been recorded.
I want the macro to go through cells in column A, and once it detects a gap,
the cell fill colour (cell A3 in the above example) turns red.

I'm using Excel 2003.

Many thanks
Tendresse

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JMB JMB is offline

But if you really need a macro - perhaps this will point you in the right
direction

Sub Test()
Dim rngData As Range
Dim i As Long

Set rngData = Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("A1:A5")

For i = 2 To rngData.Rows.Count
If rngData(i).Value - rngData(i - 1).Value < 1 Then
rngData.Cells(i).Interior.ColorIndex = 53
Else: rngData.Cells(i).Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
End If
Next i

End Sub

"Tendresse" wrote:

I need help with a macro that checks that cells values in column A are
increasing by one increment. In Column A i put receipts numbers. I want to be
able to check if all receipts have been recorded. for example, if column A
looks like this:

1 100
2 101
3 103
4 104
5 105

All values are increasing by 1, except the value in cell A3 increased by 2.
Which means that Receipt Number 102 hasn't been recorded.
I want the macro to go through cells in column A, and once it detects a gap,
the cell fill colour (cell A3 in the above example) turns red.

I'm using Excel 2003.

Many thanks
Tendresse

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Test on Sheet1
Sub testing()
Const sh1Name = "Sheet1"
Const colA = "A"
Dim sh1 As Worksheet
Dim i As Long
Dim lastRowInColA As Long

Set sh1 = Worksheets(sh1Name)
lastRowInColA = Cells(Rows.Count, colA).End(xlUp).Row

For i = 2 To lastRowInColA
If sh1.Range(colA & i).Offset(1, 0).Value - sh1.Range(colA & i).Value 1 Then
sh1.Range(colA & i).Offset(1, 0).Interior.ColorIndex = 6

End If
Next i
End Sub

"Tendresse" wrote:

I need help with a macro that checks that cells values in column A are
increasing by one increment. In Column A i put receipts numbers. I want to be
able to check if all receipts have been recorded. for example, if column A
looks like this:

1 100
2 101
3 103
4 104
5 105

All values are increasing by 1, except the value in cell A3 increased by 2.
Which means that Receipt Number 102 hasn't been recorded.
I want the macro to go through cells in column A, and once it detects a gap,
the cell fill colour (cell A3 in the above example) turns red.

I'm using Excel 2003.

Many thanks
Tendresse

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi JMB,
Thanks a lot for your reply. The macro worked perfectly. That's exactly what
i wanted. You are a champion.