Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to Autofill HTML code into Excell spreadsheet

Hello,

I have a website that will have over 3000 items (books) in it. I am in the
process of uploading all inventory to the site using Excel. It is an Ebay
Prostores website.

I use the website software to also upload items to Ebay. I do not like the
way it uploads items, it only uploads the description and not additional
fields from my site like the ISBN number, number of pages etc.

So when I want to upload inventory that will be listed to Ebay I make an
item and I can add html code to the description field and the item will look
how I like and include all details I need. However, in order to do this I
must view the page source for every item and copy and paste the appropriate
HTML code into my description column on my Excel spreadsheet, this will not
save me any time.

What I need to know is how to create a snippet of html code that I can paste
into my spreadsheet for every item and it will automatically pull the
appropriate information from the appropriate cells and insert it into the
html code. I hope I'm clear here. All of the content that I will need auto
inserted into the HTML column of my spreadsheet will be found elsewhere on
the spreadsheet.

Right now say I have 20 columns for each line item in my spreadsheet. I
want to pull information (the contents) from 6 different columns (the same
columns all the time) and have it automatically inserted into html code in
another column. The base html code will always remain the same, but there
are things in the code that will be different for each invidual item.

Someone can email me for more information if they prefer.

I don't know macros and don't have the time to learn right now. I'm very
quick but I'm under a lot of pressure to get this site up and have to
concentrate on that right now, I don't have the time to learn something new -
although I love doing that.

I would be willing to hire someone to figure it out for me, I just don't
know where to look.

Thank you very much for any direction or suggestions.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Lisa,

If you have a "template" of the HTML you can use something like this:

Function GetHTML(ISBN, YR, PAGES) as string

dim sHTML as string
sHTML = "<table<trISBN</td<td{ISBN}</td" _ &
"<tr<tdYear</td<td{YEAR}</td</tr" _ &
"<tr<tdPages</td<td{PAGES}</td</tr</table"

sHTML=replace(sHTML,"{ISBN}",ISBN)
sHTML=replace(sHTML,"{YEAR}",YR)
sHTML=replace(sHTML,"{PAGES}",PAGES)

GetHTML = sHTML

End Function

If you can't adapt this sample then you can mail me an example of your info
and the required HTML.

tim j williams at gmail dot com (no spaces)

Tim

"Lisa" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply Tim. I really appreciate it.

Where you have

sHTML=replace(sHTML,"{ISBN}",ISBN)

Is one of the ISBN a column name, if so, which one? The one ins { } or the
other one?

I will play around with what you gave me and see what I can do. I like to
learn these things, I just wish I had more time. I'll use the forumula and
see what happens and edit it a bit to see if I can get anything to work as I
need. I may end of having to email you, but I don't want to be a pest.

Thank you again.

Lisa

"Lisa" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tim Tim is offline

sHTML=replace(sHTML,"{ISBN}",ISBN)

This is replacing the placeholder ({ISBN}) with the "ISBN" parameter passed
into the function: typically this would be a reference to a cell with the
ISBN number in it.

ie. in your spreadsheet you would be creating the HTML in a cell using the
formula:

=GetHTML(A2,B2,C2)

Where columns A,B,C contain the info you want to insert into the HTML

Tim