Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Creating a Wizard with VBA??

Okay.....don't laugh. I know virtually nothing about VBA, so go easy
on me........

I've been asked to create an "application", 95% of which is pure
Excel: formulas, functions and the like. The remaining 5% is stuff
which is customisable, based on input from the user (ie, requiring
VBA). Part of this is a custom-built Wizard, so.........

Is it possible for a custom Wizard to be created using VBA? And if
so, can it appear immediately after the user opens the Workbook?

And how about creating custom menu bars and menu items (and hiding the
built-in bars/items)........is this also possible with VBA? Can
someone show me how it's done?

Many thanks in advance. :)

Jason Paris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A lot of questions and to move forward you may have to ask specific ones.
However,

Is it possible to create a custom wizard that runs when the workbook opens?
Yes it is they are called macros and here is a very simple one that will run
every time the workbook is opened.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
msg = "Hello user press yes or no please"
response = MsgBox(msg, vbYesNo)
If response = vbYes Then
MsgBox ("You pressed yes")
Else
MsgBox ("You pressed No")

working with command bars can be done for example

Sub DeactivateIt()
With Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Controls("&Tools")
.Controls("&Options...").Enabled = False
End With
End Sub

Will disable Options on the tools menu

Mike

"Jason Paris" wrote:

Okay.....don't laugh. I know virtually nothing about VBA, so go easy
on me........

I've been asked to create an "application", 95% of which is pure
Excel: formulas, functions and the like. The remaining 5% is stuff
which is customisable, based on input from the user (ie, requiring
VBA). Part of this is a custom-built Wizard, so.........

Is it possible for a custom Wizard to be created using VBA? And if
so, can it appear immediately after the user opens the Workbook?

And how about creating custom menu bars and menu items (and hiding the
built-in bars/items)........is this also possible with VBA? Can
someone show me how it's done?

Many thanks in advance. :)

Jason Paris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Be aware that VBA code affecting menus/toolbars will (mostly) not work in XL2007.
A different programming language is required to do that in XL2007.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Jason Paris"
wrote in message
Okay.....don't laugh. I know virtually nothing about VBA, so go easy
on me........
I've been asked to create an "application", 95% of which is pure
Excel: formulas, functions and the like. The remaining 5% is stuff
which is customisable, based on input from the user (ie, requiring
VBA). Part of this is a custom-built Wizard, so.........
Is it possible for a custom Wizard to be created using VBA? And if
so, can it appear immediately after the user opens the Workbook?
And how about creating custom menu bars and menu items (and hiding the
built-in bars/items)........is this also possible with VBA? Can
someone show me how it's done?
Many thanks in advance. :)
Jason Paris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

I am also trying to create a wizard in excel, but I know virtually nothing
about VBA or creating macros. First of all, where do you enter the code? I
tried Mike H's code, but I couldn't seem to get it to work. I am using Excel
2007.

Thanks

wrote in message
Okay.....don't laugh. I know virtually nothing about VBA, so go easy
on me........
I've been asked to create an "application", 95% of which is pure
Excel: formulas, functions and the like. The remaining 5% is stuff
which is customisable, based on input from the user (ie, requiring
VBA). Part of this is a custom-built Wizard, so.........
Is it possible for a custom Wizard to be created using VBA? And if
so, can it appear immediately after the user opens the Workbook?
And how about creating custom menu bars and menu items (and hiding the
built-in bars/items)........is this also possible with VBA? Can
someone show me how it's done?
Many thanks in advance. :)
Jason Paris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

make the workbook a window and right click on the blue title bar at the top
of the window - select view code. put the code there. Save and close the
workbook. Open it back up.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/und...d/default.aspx

Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message
Okay.....don't laugh. I know virtually nothing about VBA, so go easy
on me........
I've been asked to create an "application", 95% of which is pure
Excel: formulas, functions and the like. The remaining 5% is stuff
which is customisable, based on input from the user (ie, requiring
VBA). Part of this is a custom-built Wizard, so.........
Is it possible for a custom Wizard to be created using VBA? And if
so, can it appear immediately after the user opens the Workbook?
And how about creating custom menu bars and menu items (and hiding the
built-in bars/items)........is this also possible with VBA? Can
someone show me how it's done?
Many thanks in advance. :)
Jason Paris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't use XL2007 - see my previous post for one reason why.
You are asking for help on the basics and normally I would refer you to online tutorial.
However, I do not believe that any yet deal with the 07 version.
Your best approach might be to buy a John Walkenbach book dealing with XL2007
..
With that said, the code that Mike H posted deals with specific occurrences
(Events) within Excel. The first macro only works when the workbook opens and the
second macro only works when you select a different workbook.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Jim Cone" wrote:
Be aware that VBA code affecting menus/toolbars will (mostly) not work in XL2007.
A different programming language is required to do that in XL2007.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks! My end goal is to be able to write a program in excel that would
take a person step by step through various calculations (using information in
a spreadsheet) and then put results into the spreadsheet. Is this possible
using macros and VBA in Excel? (In 2003 or 2007)?
thanks

"Jim Cone" wrote:
Be aware that VBA code affecting menus/toolbars will (mostly) not work in XL2007.
A different programming language is required to do that in XL2007.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, that certainly is possible and doesn't sound that hard to do.
Though I have discovered that what people say they want to do in Excel is
not always what they want to do. <g

The first link that Tom Ogilvy posted is very good and this one,
picked at random, might help you get started...
http://www.vbaexpress.com/training/l...m#_Toc80291107
"Introduction to the Visual Basic Editor"

If you are serious, buy a book.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA