-   -   Comparing two columns with email addresses (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/389847-comparing-two-columns-email-addresses.html)

[email protected]

Comparing two columns with email addresses

Hello,

I am trying to compare two columns that contain email addresses. The
goal is to identify email addresses that exist in both columns. I
tried VLOOKUP, and Countif functions but I can't get them to return
any results. I also did a copy and paste special (multiply) to make
sure the formatting in both columns is the same.

Column A has email addresses of people who read the email (total 168)
I sent out, and Column C has all the email addresses (total 1938) it
was sent to.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you!
Sandeep

Norman Jones

Comparing two columns with email addresses

Hi Sandeep,

See Chip Pearson at:

Extracting Values Common To Two Lists
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...tingDuplicates

---
Regards,
Norman

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello,

I am trying to compare two columns that contain email addresses. The
goal is to identify email addresses that exist in both columns. I
tried VLOOKUP, and Countif functions but I can't get them to return
any results. I also did a copy and paste special (multiply) to make
sure the formatting in both columns is the same.

Column A has email addresses of people who read the email (total 168)
I sent out, and Column C has all the email addresses (total 1938) it
was sent to.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you!
Sandeep

Tom Ogilvy

Comparing two columns with email addresses

Assume the first list is in column A and the second in column B. In column C
(c1)

=if(countif(A:A,B1)0,"<===","")

then drag fill down.

you can also try

=if(countif(A:A,"*"&trim(B1)&"*")0,"<===","")

which may be more robust.

Tom Ogilvy