Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Microsoft Query - DETAILED documentation????

I'm trying to retrieve data from a large SQL OLTP database. I am able to
connect and retrieve data with MS Query but I am running into road blocks.
For example MS Query says I can only have two tables if I use a left outer
join. This seems rather restrictive. I want to be able to retrieve data
from a complex combination of tables and conditions and the allow the user to
change conditions from time to time.

Am I asking too much of Excell? It seems as if MS is pushing Excell as a
major player in its Business Intel environment. I would think they would be
able to provide some documentation other than "gee-wiz" stage shows and basic
"make the connection" type instructions.

Is there any in-depth documentation on MS Query? What I've found so far has
been very basic; it got me to the point of establishing the connection and
that's about it.

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tim Tim is offline

Seems as though. MS Query is just a failry basic wizard-type "SQL builder",
so it's not likely to be able to acheive the same results as "hand-written"
SQL. If you need more advanced queries you may have to either write them
directly, or use a more advanced tool.

Tim

"Johnslg" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Tim. I had pretty much assumed that after playing with Query a bit.
I can write an SQL query in a cell but there are limitations on that.

I'm an SQL geek just trying to offer a quick solution to an excel user.
What other tools might I use?