Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Maximum IF Statements in a Formula

Excel HELP seems to indicate that the maximum number of IF statements in a
formula is seven. I have successfully designed formulas with 12 IF
statements. I am wondering just what the limits are?

I have written a formula exceeded the limits on the number of characters in
a formula. I suspect that limit might be 1,000 characters. If anyone knows
the limit on the number of characters in a formula, I would be interested in
that limit too.
--
eeldav
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You are limited to 7 IF statements if they are nested within each other.
However, you can have more if one of your IF statements branches off into two
lines of logic, each of those having IF statements.
--
Best Regards,

Luke Moraga

"eeldav" wrote:

Excel HELP seems to indicate that the maximum number of IF statements in a
formula is seven. I have successfully designed formulas with 12 IF
statements. I am wondering just what the limits are?

I have written a formula exceeded the limits on the number of characters in
a formula. I suspect that limit might be 1,000 characters. If anyone knows
the limit on the number of characters in a formula, I would be interested in
that limit too.
--
eeldav

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Luke Moraga has explained the limitation on IF limits accurately. It should
be noted that this limit for NESTED functions is not just for IF, but for all
nested functions, even a mixture.

The formula limit in Excel 2003 is 1024 characters. You can find the exact
limits for these kinds of things in Excel Help. Do a search for either Excel
Specifications or for Excel Specifications and Limits ... both should lead
you to the same place in Help.