Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
No Name

Default Data Entry Mini-Project

Folks:

I have a 6-column spreadsheet which I would like to SHARE with some other
users (simultaneously) to complete a Data Entry task.
The columns have headings: Name, ID #, Age, Height, Weight, Birthdate.

Each person is responsible for completing a different column of information.
Each person is only allowed to sees the 2 columns of information: (ID #) AND
(Age OR Height OR Weight OR Birthdate) that they need for data entry.

* Can Excel accomplish this task or should I use another language like
Visual Foxpro ?
* If Excel can solve this problem, I would appreciate any advice on how
to tackle the various stages (SHARING the spreadsheet, HIDING certain
columns) of this mini-project

Thanks,
John.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel

Hey, i just finished a project similiar to that, that allows certain users to
only see certain sheets and have limited abilities to change or edit data.
It's not very easy to explain in detail but for a start here is 1 possible
way, im sure other people with greater excel intelligence can share other
ways... but.

You can create a userform that has a textbox... in that textbox you can
change it's Password Characters to (*). Then under the Submit Password
command button you can have a function that looks liked...

Select Case passwordBox
Case "Password1"
Do This (ex. hide & protect certain columns or change the edit
range to only the range they can change.

Case "Password2"
Same Thing as Password1 just with different preferences

Case Else
MsgBox("Invalid Password")

End Select

So you have almost an unlimited number of cases and passwords. Don't worry
to much about remembering the passwords, because if you forget you can always
look them up in the VBE. That's one way to do it.