Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Copy First Character of a cell

I am trying to copy the first character of a cell and combine it with another
row and place it in another row. I am trying to create usernames from two
columns First Name and Last Name. I am trying to use Concatenation is this
possible. How do I do this?

Example:

First Name Last Name Username

Jim Bob jbob
Sally Richards srichards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assuming your data is in columns a, b and c, the following will create the
Username for you:

=lower(left(a3,1)&b3)

Fred

"kevin_jones01" wrote in message
I am trying to copy the first character of a cell and combine it with another
row and place it in another row. I am trying to create usernames from two
columns First Name and Last Name. I am trying to use Concatenation is this
possible. How do I do this?

Example:

First Name Last Name Username

Jim Bob jbob
Sally Richards srichards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

try this

A1 B1 C1
Jim Bob =LEFT(A1,1)&B1

"kevin_jones01" wrote:

I am trying to copy the first character of a cell and combine it with another
row and place it in another row. I am trying to create usernames from two
columns First Name and Last Name. I am trying to use Concatenation is this
possible. How do I do this?

Example:

First Name Last Name Username

Jim Bob jbob
Sally Richards srichards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you Mike this is perfect. Is there an easy way to check for
duplicates? and if ther is a duplicate to use the 1st Character + Last Name
plus a number? (i.e. jsmith10, jsmith15, jsmith24. I know this is not simple
but just thought I would ask. I have to do this 100 more times and I am
going to have to manually check for duplicates. Thank you for all of your
help.

"Mike" wrote:

try this

A1 B1 C1
Jim Bob =LEFT(A1,1)&B1

"kevin_jones01" wrote:

I am trying to copy the first character of a cell and combine it with another
row and place it in another row. I am trying to create usernames from two
columns First Name and Last Name. I am trying to use Concatenation is this
possible. How do I do this?

Example:

First Name Last Name Username

Jim Bob jbob
Sally Richards srichards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Kevin
Freds example will make all user names to lower case if that's what you want
you could also change lower to upper to make all user names to be in upper
case

"kevin_jones06" wrote:

Thank you Mike this is perfect. Is there an easy way to check for
duplicates? and if ther is a duplicate to use the 1st Character + Last Name
plus a number? (i.e. jsmith10, jsmith15, jsmith24. I know this is not simple
but just thought I would ask. I have to do this 100 more times and I am
going to have to manually check for duplicates. Thank you for all of your
help.

"Mike" wrote:

try this

A1 B1 C1