-   -   Mask date format (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/389456-mask-date-format.html)

jjordan

Mask date format

Hi there,

I am trying to find a way to "mask" a date field so the user cannot change
the format of the column, or enter any other format other than as I specify.
I want the field to appear as _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ and if the user does not
enter dd/mmm/yyyy it will either not accept when they are typing or prompt
"invalid date format" upon leaving the field.

Thanks,

JJ

JNW

Mask date format

You'll want to use Data Validation (no code needed). Select from the drop
down to allow any date, then format the cells how you want. You'll need to
protect the sheet so that other users cannot change the format.
--
JNW

"jjordan" wrote:

Hi there,

I am trying to find a way to "mask" a date field so the user cannot change
the format of the column, or enter any other format other than as I specify.
I want the field to appear as _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ and if the user does not
enter dd/mmm/yyyy it will either not accept when they are typing or prompt
"invalid date format" upon leaving the field.

Thanks,

JJ

jjordan

Mask date format

Thanks JNW - works like a charm!

Why do we tend to make things more difficult than need be? :)

JJ

"jjordan" wrote:

Hi there,

I am trying to find a way to "mask" a date field so the user cannot change
the format of the column, or enter any other format other than as I specify.
I want the field to appear as _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ and if the user does not
enter dd/mmm/yyyy it will either not accept when they are typing or prompt
"invalid date format" upon leaving the field.

Thanks,

JJ

JNW

Mask date format

I think that secretly, deep down inside, we like the challenge!
--
JNW