Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Compare text in one column to another and return a value from another.

To start, I'm clueless in Excel.

I have my main spreadsheet that has names, addresses and country
codes. I need to compare the country codes from my main spreadsheet to
my country code spreadsheet that has one column with the three letter
country code (that will match the country code column in my main
spreadsheet), and then another column with the full spelling of the
country. I need to compare and replace the three letter code with the
full spelling of the country. How do I do this? My basic knowledge
limits me to creating a macro that searches for the three letter code
and replace with the full spelling, but there are over 240 country
codes and would take forever to create.

Can anyone direct me in the right direction to do this the right way?

Thanks,
Kim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Compare text in one column to another and return a value from anot

Try doing a VLOOKUP for what you want and record the code that's created. If
you need additional help, come back.

"Kim" wrote:

To start, I'm clueless in Excel.

I have my main spreadsheet that has names, addresses and country
codes. I need to compare the country codes from my main spreadsheet to
my country code spreadsheet that has one column with the three letter
country code (that will match the country code column in my main
spreadsheet), and then another column with the full spelling of the
country. I need to compare and replace the three letter code with the
full spelling of the country. How do I do this? My basic knowledge
limits me to creating a macro that searches for the three letter code
and replace with the full spelling, but there are over 240 country
codes and would take forever to create.

Can anyone direct me in the right direction to do this the right way?

Thanks,
Kim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On May 12, 11:16 am, Kim wrote:
To start, I'm clueless in Excel.

I have my main spreadsheet that has names, addresses and country
codes. I need to compare the country codes from my main spreadsheet to
my country code spreadsheet that has one column with the three letter
country code (that will match the country code column in my main
spreadsheet), and then another column with the full spelling of the
country. I need to compare and replace the three letter code with the
full spelling of the country. How do I do this? My basic knowledge
limits me to creating a macro that searches for the three letter code
and replace with the full spelling, but there are over 240 country
codes and would take forever to create.

Can anyone direct me in the right direction to do this the right way?

Thanks,
Kim

I can't get it. I keep getting #REF. Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The VLookup requires that you have the Country Code in the first column of
the main spreadsheet. The Arrangement of columns in the country code
speadsheet is not a concern. Basically, this means that the VLookup
statement will translate as "Find the value in column1, row1 in the column
array A:C on country code spreadsheet with value to be returned residing in
column 2 (or whichever column number holds the full name).

Let me know if I have further muddied the waters.

Best wishes,

Jim Jackson

"Kim" wrote in message
oups.com...
To start, I'm clueless in Excel.

I have my main spreadsheet that has names, addresses and country
codes. I need to compare the country codes from my main spreadsheet to
my country code spreadsheet that has one column with the three letter
country code (that will match the country code column in my main
spreadsheet), and then another column with the full spelling of the
country. I need to compare and replace the three letter code with the
full spelling of the country. How do I do this? My basic knowledge
limits me to creating a macro that searches for the three letter code
and replace with the full spelling, but there are over 240 country
codes and would take forever to create.

Can anyone direct me in the right direction to do this the right way?

Thanks,
Kim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On May 12, 3:30 pm, "Jim Jackson" wrote:
The VLookup requires that you have the Country Code in the first column of
the main spreadsheet. The Arrangement of columns in the country code
speadsheet is not a concern. Basically, this means that the VLookup
statement will translate as "Find the value in column1, row1 in the column
array A:C on country code spreadsheet with value to be returned residing in
column 2 (or whichever column number holds the full name).

Let me know if I have further muddied the waters.

Best wishes,

Jim Jackson

"Kim" wrote in message

oups.com...

To start, I'm clueless in Excel.

I have my main spreadsheet that has names, addresses and country
codes. I need to compare the country codes from my main spreadsheet to
my country code spreadsheet that has one column with the three letter
country code (that will match the country code column in my main
spreadsheet), and then another column with the full spelling of the
country. I need to compare and replace the three letter code with the
full spelling of the country. How do I do this? My basic knowledge
limits me to creating a macro that searches for the three letter code
and replace with the full spelling, but there are over 240 country
codes and would take forever to create.

Can anyone direct me in the right direction to do this the right way?

Thanks,
Kim- Hide quoted text -

I think I've finally got it. This really helps! Thanks again!