Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Change color of Autoshape in chart

I replaced the bar shape in a bar chart with an arrow drawn from the
Autoshape menu. First I drew the arrow on a spreadsheet then changed
the color and shading. Then I highlight a series in the chart and
pasted the arrow. This all works fine.

Is there a way to change the color of that shape once it is in the
chart? I have some VBA code that changes other characterstics such as
location and formating of each data point's data label but if I try to
change the color, the arrow goes away and a full bar replaces it.

I know how to cycle through the data points in the series, I just
don't know how to change the color of the autoshape versus the entire
bar or column.

Thanks.

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Once you apply a custom shape to the marker or fill of a chart series, you
can't reformat it. You have to reformat the original shape, and reapply it
to the point or series.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"John Michl" wrote in message
oups.com...
I replaced the bar shape in a bar chart with an arrow drawn from the
Autoshape menu. First I drew the arrow on a spreadsheet then changed
the color and shading. Then I highlight a series in the chart and
pasted the arrow. This all works fine.

Is there a way to change the color of that shape once it is in the
chart? I have some VBA code that changes other characterstics such as
location and formating of each data point's data label but if I try to
change the color, the arrow goes away and a full bar replaces it.

I know how to cycle through the data points in the series, I just
don't know how to change the color of the autoshape versus the entire
bar or column.

Thanks.

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, Jon. I was afraid of that. I think my workaround will be to
draw four versions of the arrow each with a different color and then
use those as legend on the chart. Each will have a unique name. Then
I'll recopy the appropriate version onto each data point as I activate
the chart.

- John

On May 11, 8:34 am, "Jon Peltier"
wrote:
Once you apply a custom shape to the marker or fill of a chart series, you
can't reformat it. You have to reformat the original shape, and reapply it
to the point or series.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
_______

"John Michl" wrote in message

oups.com...

I replaced the bar shape in a bar chart with an arrow drawn from the
Autoshape menu. First I drew the arrow on a spreadsheet then changed
the color and shading. Then I highlight a series in the chart and
pasted the arrow. This all works fine.

Is there a way to change the color of that shape once it is in the
chart? I have some VBA code that changes other characterstics such as
location and formating of each data point's data label but if I try to
change the color, the arrow goes away and a full bar replaces it.

I know how to cycle through the data points in the series, I just
don't know how to change the color of the autoshape versus the entire
bar or column.

Thanks.

John- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Why not make four series, and adjust the visible points based on your
condition:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...nalChart1.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

ups.com...

wrote:
Once you apply a custom shape to the marker or fill of a chart series,
you
can't reformat it. You have to reformat the original shape, and reapply
it
to the point or series.

- Jon
-------