Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA Code Please help!!

Hello,

I am not very familar with Excel programming but here it goes. My manager
gave me a spreadsheet that need an If statement in a cell. It is actually in
each cell in the whole column. When I figure out what the statement should
be, where do I put it? How do I get to the screen where I put the code in?
Surely it can't be a macro can it? Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ho Stockwell,

If you check Excel's Help for the IF worksheet function,
you will obtain the required syntax and see various examples
of the function's use.

---
Regards,
Norman

"Stockwell43" wrote in message
Hello,

I am not very familar with Excel programming but here it goes. My manager
gave me a spreadsheet that need an If statement in a cell. It is actually
in
each cell in the whole column. When I figure out what the statement should
be, where do I put it? How do I get to the screen where I put the code in?
Surely it can't be a macro can it? Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On May 9, 1:24 pm, Stockwell43
wrote:
Hello,

I am not very familar with Excel programming but here it goes. My manager
gave me a spreadsheet that need an If statement in a cell. It is actually in
each cell in the whole column. When I figure out what the statement should
be, where do I put it? How do I get to the screen where I put the code in?
Surely it can't be a macro can it? Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!

Hi

This isn't really VBA. There is a VBA IF statement, but it looks like
you're needing a simple Worksheet Function (in other words one which
goes into a cell, rather than one is written as part of a VBA
routine).

That said, you need to select the cell in which you want to see the
answer appear, and simply type the function, with it's supporting
information (the "arguments"), preceded by an = sign, into that cell.

As an example, if A1 and B1 contained sales figures, and you wanted to
mark them as either HIGH or LOW in C1, depending on whether the total
sale was above 100, you would type the following into C1 (not
forgetting to press Enter at the end):
=IF(A1+B1100,"HIGH","LOW")

As you may be able to see from this, there are 3 parts to the IF
function, separated with commas.

The first part is the TEST - what you're looking to evaluate. In this
case, we simply said A1+B1100, but we could also have written
something like SUM(A1:B1)100 and the result would be the same.

The second part is what to do if the test is TRUE - in other words
A1+B1 IS greater than 100. In this case, we simply said "put the word
'HIGH' in the current cell (C1)" But we could just as easily have said
something like (A1+B1)*1.1 if we'd wanted to show the value of adding
10% to the total of A1+B1, or indeed any other such calculation. Just
remember that if you want to put a piece of text rather than a
calculation, that text must go in quotation marks.

The final part of the function is what to do if the test is FALSE. It
follows all the same rules and patterns as the TRUE part, as described
above.

The three parts - again, called the arguments, or the parameters - are
surrounded by parentheses.

You mention having to put the formula in every cell in a column. The
best way to do this is to get the formula to work in the first cell.
Once you're happy that it's giving you the answer you need, select
that cell with the answer (C1 in our example above) and then hover
with the mouse over the black dot in the bottom-right corner of the
cell. This is known as the AutoFill Handle. The mouse pointer will
change to a black cross. When you have this appearing, click and drag
down in the column for as far as you want the formula to be copied.

This should do the trick for you!

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Andrew,

What you are saying does make sense to me. What I need to do is to say
something like:
If F15 = 230,231,331,336 Then G15 = 0.1000 else 0.0014

In the logical test, I do one value but not several. How do I do this so if
any of the above number are input into F15 G15 will show 0.1000 and if the
number in F15 is not one of the above G15 will show 0.0014?

Any help you can give me would most appreciated.

Thank you!!

"Andrew" wrote:

On May 9, 1:24 pm, Stockwell43
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You a combination of If and Or. Formula in G15 would be:
=IF(OR(F15=230,F15=231,F15=331,F15=336),0.1000,0.0 014)

HTH
-Jeff-

Stockwell43 wrote:
Hi Andrew,

What you are saying does make sense to me. What I need to do is to say
something like:
If F15 = 230,231,331,336 Then G15 = 0.1000 else 0.0014

In the logical test, I do one value but not several. How do I do this so if
any of the above number are input into F15 G15 will show 0.1000 and if the
number in F15 is not one of the above G15 will show 0.0014?

Any help you can give me would most appreciated.

Thank you!!

"Andrew" wrote:

On May 9, 1:24 pm, Stockwell43
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi JW,

This works great! how can I do this with several sets together. Exmaple:
=IF(OR(F15=230,F15=231,F15=331,F15=336),0.1000,0.0 014) and then another set
of number like F15=444,F15=445,F15=446,F15=447),0.1666,0.0014) and so on
about five more times. I know this seems ridiculous but it's what the boss
what and I haven't the faintest idea about how to do it. If there is another
way to sum all this up easier, I'm all ears. If not, they can just enter in
the information manually. I already spent the entire day on it and with your
formula am very close but I have several sets of codes that are based on the
type of collateral.

Sorry to be a bother but do appreciate your help!

Stockwell43 wrote:
Hi Andrew,

What you are saying does make sense to me. What I need to do is to say
something like:
If F15 = 230,231,331,336 Then G15 = 0.1000 else 0.0014

In the logical test, I do one value but not several. How do I do this so if
any of the above number are input into F15 G15 will show 0.1000 and if the
number in F15 is not one of the above G15 will show 0.0014?

Any help you can give me would most appreciated.

Thank you!!

"Andrew" wrote:

On May 9, 1:24 pm, Stockwell43
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You need to 'nest' If statements together. You can look at this like
an If..ElseIf..ElseIf..Else type of thing. Here's an example using
what you posted below.
=IF(OR(F15=230,F15=231,F15=331,F15=336),
0.1,IF(OR(F15=444,F15=445,F15=446,F15=447),0.1666, 0.0014))

Keep in mind, there is a limit of 7 nested If statements allowed. If
you can provide all of your possible scenarios, I'll throw the forumla
together for you real quick.

HTH
-Jeff-

Stockwell43 wrote:
Hi Andrew,

What you are saying does make sense to me. What I need to do is to say
something like:
If F15 = 230,231,331,336 Then G15 = 0.1000 else 0.0014

In the logical test, I do one value but not several. How do I do this so if
any of the above number are input into F15 G15 will show 0.1000 and if the
number in F15 is not one of the above G15 will show 0.0014?

Any help you can give me would most appreciated.

Thank you!!

"Andrew" wrote:

On May 9, 1:24 pm, Stockwell43
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I tried it but it didn't work. Once I enter the code (the one beloew to test)
it automatically put in 0.0014 in cell G15. The first piece of code you send
me worked great however. Did maybe I do something wrong? I copied and pasted
exactly what was written.

Stockwell43 wrote:
Hi Andrew,

What you are saying does make sense to me. What I need to do is to say
something like:
If F15 = 230,231,331,336 Then G15 = 0.1000 else 0.0014

In the logical test, I do one value but not several. How do I do this so if
any of the above number are input into F15 G15 will show 0.1000 and if the
number in F15 is not one of the above G15 will show 0.0014?

Any help you can give me would most appreciated.

Thank you!!

"Andrew" wrote:

On May 9, 1:24 pm, Stockwell43
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The formula I sent most recently works fine onmy machine. The way the
formula is setup is that, if nothing is entered at all, it will place .
0014 in the cell. If you don't want to do it that way, we can add
another If statement to the beginning to see if F15 is blank.
=IF(F15="","",IF(OR(F15=230,F15=231,F15=331,F15=33 6),

Stockwell43 wrote:
Hi Andrew,

What you are saying does make sense to me. What I need to do is to say
something like:
If F15 = 230,231,331,336 Then G15 = 0.1000 else 0.0014

In the logical test, I do one value but not several. How do I do this so if
any of the above number are input into F15 G15 will show 0.1000 and if the
number in F15 is not one of the above G15 will show 0.0014?

Any help you can give me would most appreciated.

Thank you!!

"Andrew" wrote:

On May 9, 1:24 pm, Stockwell43
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You know what JW, it does work fine. I had it in G14 to read F14 instead of
F15. I am so sorry for that but I have been looking at this all day and my
eyes are not focusing properly on what I am doing. So if I keep adding
addtional sets, all I have to do is add another ) at the end of the formula
for each set I add?

Stockwell43 wrote:
Hi Andrew,

What you are saying does make sense to me. What I need to do is to say
something like:
If F15 = 230,231,331,336 Then G15 = 0.1000 else 0.0014

In the logical test, I do one value but not several. How do I do this so if
any of the above number are input into F15 G15 will show 0.1000 and if the
number in F15 is not one of the above G15 will show 0.0014?

Any help you can give me would most appreciated.

Thank you!!

"Andrew" wrote:

On May 9, 1:24 pm, Stockwell43
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorta. It's a little more to it than that. YOu have to place each If
statement in the appropriate place or it will produce incorrect
results or an error. Do a google search on Nested If Statements. You
will find plenty of resources.

Stockwell43 wrote:
Hi Andrew,

What you are saying does make sense to me. What I need to do is to say
something like:
If F15 = 230,231,331,336 Then G15 = 0.1000 else 0.0014

In the logical test, I do one value but not several. How do I do this so if
any of the above number are input into F15 G15 will show 0.1000 and if the
number in F15 is not one of the above G15 will show 0.0014?

Any help you can give me would most appreciated.

Thank you!!

"Andrew" wrote:

On May 9, 1:24 pm, Stockwell43
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok, I'll check it and see if I can grasp it. I do appreciate you staying with
me on this and explaining the formula in detail. You were a huge help and I
thank you for that. I may need to post back for more once I get the rest of
the codes from my manager if I cannot figure it out on my own. I did save the
formula in case I run into this again. In the menatime have a wonderful day
and again, thank you!

Stockwell43 wrote:
Hi Andrew,

What you are saying does make sense to me. What I need to do is to say
something like:
If F15 = 230,231,331,336 Then G15 = 0.1000 else 0.0014

In the logical test, I do one value but not several. How do I do this so if
any of the above number are input into F15 G15 will show 0.1000 and if the
number in F15 is not one of the above G15 will show 0.0014?

Any help you can give me would most appreciated.

Thank you!!

"Andrew" wrote:

On May 9, 1:24 pm, Stockwell43
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No problem. I'll help in any way I can.

Stockwell43 wrote:
Hi Andrew,

What you are saying does make sense to me. What I need to do is to say
something like:
If F15 = 230,231,331,336 Then G15 = 0.1000 else 0.0014

In the logical test, I do one value but not several. How do I do this so if
any of the above number are input into F15 G15 will show 0.1000 and if the
number in F15 is not one of the above G15 will show 0.0014?

Any help you can give me would most appreciated.

Thank you!!