Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Open File based on filename in cell

I am using a combo box / Vlookup to populate a cell -say C3- with file name.
I want to use this to open the selected file.

myFile = Selection.FormulaR1C1
Workbooks.Open Filename:=myFile

However, since 'C3' is a Vlookup formula, the macro tries to open a file
based on the formula rather than the results of the formula.

Is there a way to have 'myFile' be read as the text of the cell contents?

Thanks

TB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

try it this way:

myFile = Selection.Text
Workbooks.Open Filename:=myFile

--
Hope that helps.

Vergel Adriano

"TOMB" wrote:

I am using a combo box / Vlookup to populate a cell -say C3- with file name.
I want to use this to open the selected file.

myFile = Selection.FormulaR1C1
Workbooks.Open Filename:=myFile

However, since 'C3' is a Vlookup formula, the macro tries to open a file
based on the formula rather than the results of the formula.

Is there a way to have 'myFile' be read as the text of the cell contents?

Thanks

TB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Perfect. Thanks!

"Vergel Adriano" wrote:

try it this way:

myFile = Selection.Text

"TOMB" wrote:

I am using a combo box / Vlookup to populate a cell -say C3- with file name.
I want to use this to open the selected file.

myFile = Selection.FormulaR1C1
Workbooks.Open Filename:=myFile

However, since 'C3' is a Vlookup formula, the macro tries to open a file
based on the formula rather than the results of the formula.

Is there a way to have 'myFile' be read as the text of the cell contents?

Thanks

TB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Apr 26, 10:48 am, TOMB wrote:
I am using a combo box / Vlookup to populate a cell -say C3- with file name.
I want to use this to open the selected file.

myFile = Selection.FormulaR1C1
Workbooks.Open Filename:=myFile

However, since 'C3' is a Vlookup formula, the macro tries to open a file
based on the formula rather than the results of the formula.

Is there a way to have 'myFile' be read as the text of the cell contents?

Thanks

TB

dim myFile as String
myFile = [C3].Value

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Apr 26, 10:48 am, TOMB wrote:
I am using a combo box / Vlookup to populate a cell -say C3- with file name.
I want to use this to open the selected file.

myFile = Selection.FormulaR1C1
Workbooks.Open Filename:=myFile

However, since 'C3' is a Vlookup formula, the macro tries to open a file
based on the formula rather than the results of the formula.

Is there a way to have 'myFile' be read as the text of the cell contents?

Thanks

TB

This works for me regardless of the formula in C3...

myFile = [C3].Value