Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2007: deleting macro from personal.xlsb

I am a complete novice with macros, but have been playing with some simple
examples.

I have a macro created that I want to delete, but when I navigate to
developer/macros and choose the macro, I am told I can't delete it because
it resides in the hidden personal macro workbook file (personal.xlsb). It
says to use the unhide command in order to delete the macro, but I can't
find that particular command.

Some unhide commands are at home/cells/format dropdown, but I don't see
anything relevant. There is no workbook choice. Not even a greyed out
workbook choice. Which might lead me to believe I have no hidden workbooks,
but nonetheless I get the message to unhide.

I see some hide choices at view/show-hide, but nothing relevant.

I also notice I have a blank worksheet at the end of my Excel file titled
simply "sheet 1". Is this related to macros and can it be deleted?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Carl,
It may be easier to go through the VBE:
-Alt+F11
-On the left you should have a list of open workbooks. Find the required,
probably called "VBAProject (PERSONAL.XLS)"
-Click the "+" to its left, if it is not already expanded.
-Click the "+" to left of the "Modules" folder, if it is not already
expanded.
-Double click each module you find there are check the VBA code you find in
it for the routine you wish to delete.
-Select and delete everything from the "Sub YourMacro" to "End sub",
inclusive.

NickHK

"Carl LaFong" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

NickHK:

Thanks for the help. Your suggestion worked.

How do you explain the lack of a relevant unhide command?? Excel 2007 bug? A
peculiarity with my particular file or situation? Is this a known issue?

Do you have any comment about the blank "sheet 1" at the end of my file that
I mentioned in my original post? I know I did not make that particular tab,
so I am guessing it was created by Excel and has something to do with macros
and maybe I shouldn't delete it?? If nothing else, I can hide it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Carl,
I do not use XL2007, but in previous versions you had to go to WindowUnhide
on the excel menu bar. Then you will be able to select the desired hidden
workbook.

As for the "Sheet1", if you did not insert it, it may have been created by a
macro, but we cannot tell without seeing your XL setup.
It may have been there, but you did not notice, as "Sheet1" suggests the
first in a workbook.
All workbooks need at least 1 sheet, although this can be a chart or macro
sheet intead of a worksheet.
As for deleting it only you can tell if it is important or not.

NickHK

"Carl LaFong" wrote in message
NickHK:

Thanks for the help. Your suggestion worked.

How do you explain the lack of a relevant unhide command?? Excel 2007 bug?

peculiarity with my particular file or situation? Is this a known issue?

Do you have any comment about the blank "sheet 1" at the end of my file

that
I mentioned in my original post? I know I did not make that particular

tab,
so I am guessing it was created by Excel and has something to do with

macros
and maybe I shouldn't delete it?? If nothing else, I can hide it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A bit of nomenclature, Carl. The workbook isn't hidden, its window is.
Same thing when you have only one window of course but it helps you to find
the command to think of it as a Window command.

View tab, Window group, Unhide button.

--
Jim
"Carl LaFong" wrote in message
| NickHK:
|
| Thanks for the help. Your suggestion worked.
|
| How do you explain the lack of a relevant unhide command?? Excel 2007 bug?
| peculiarity with my particular file or situation? Is this a known issue?
|
| Do you have any comment about the blank "sheet 1" at the end of my file
that
| I mentioned in my original post? I know I did not make that particular
tab,
| so I am guessing it was created by Excel and has something to do with
macros
| and maybe I shouldn't delete it?? If nothing else, I can hide it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim:

I may well have lost my mind, but in Excel 2007 I don't see any "Unhide"
button in view tab, window group.

In the Window group, I see

new window
arrange all
freeze panes
save workspace
switch windows

and 3 buttons representing

view side by side
synchronous scrolling
reset window position

I see a "show-hide" under view, way over to the left of the zoom group, but
it has no relevant choices and it is not in the window group.

What am I missing?? I admit to not having nomenclature down, but I have to
trust my eyes.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you haven't maximized Excel do so now. Unless you have a pretty low
screen resolution you should see that the three buttons to the right of New
Window, Arrange All and Freeze Panes now have captions - Split, Hide,
Unhide.

--
Jim
"Carl LaFong" wrote in message
| Jim:
|
| I may well have lost my mind, but in Excel 2007 I don't see any "Unhide"
| button in view tab, window group.
|
| In the Window group, I see
|
| new window
| arrange all
| freeze panes
| save workspace
| switch windows
|
| and 3 buttons representing
|
| view side by side
| synchronous scrolling
| reset window position
|
| I see a "show-hide" under view, way over to the left of the zoom group,
but
| it has no relevant choices and it is not in the window group.
|
| What am I missing?? I admit to not having nomenclature down, but I have to
| trust my eyes.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Jim Rech" wrote in message
If you haven't maximized Excel do so now. Unless you have a pretty low
screen resolution you should see that the three buttons to the right of
New
Window, Arrange All and Freeze Panes now have captions - Split, Hide,
Unhide.

--
Jim

Jim:

You are right!! Due to aging eyes, I have always used 800 x 600 and those
buttons are not shown at that resolution, but pop up at higher resolution.

I have never seen such behavior in all my computing years and am now
wondering what other commands in Excel and other apps I have not seen.

I don't think I can stick with higher resolutions, but I will try to see if
I can get by using the magnification slider in the lower right corner, at
least for Excel.

Thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have never seen such behavior in all my computing years

Well that's the new Ribbon! Let's mark you down as a satisfied customer!<g

--
Jim
"Carl LaFong" wrote in message

| "Jim Rech" wrote in message
| If you haven't maximized Excel do so now. Unless you have a pretty low
| screen resolution you should see that the three buttons to the right of
| New
| Window, Arrange All and Freeze Panes now have captions - Split, Hide,
| Unhide.
|
| --
| Jim
|

| Jim:
|
| You are right!! Due to aging eyes, I have always used 800 x 600 and those
| buttons are not shown at that resolution, but pop up at higher resolution.
|
| I have never seen such behavior in all my computing years and am now
| wondering what other commands in Excel and other apps I have not seen.
|
| I don't think I can stick with higher resolutions, but I will try to see
if
| I can get by using the magnification slider in the lower right corner, at
| least for Excel.
|
| Thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim,
I don't have Office2007. So you are saying menu items disappear at certain
resolutions ?

NickHK

"Jim Rech" wrote in message
I have never seen such behavior in all my computing years

Well that's the new Ribbon! Let's mark you down as a satisfied

customer!<g

--
Jim
"Carl LaFong" wrote in message

| "Jim Rech" wrote in message
| If you haven't maximized Excel do so now. Unless you have a pretty

low
| screen resolution you should see that the three buttons to the right

of
| New
| Window, Arrange All and Freeze Panes now have captions - Split, Hide,
| Unhide.
|
| --
| Jim
|

| Jim:
|
| You are right!! Due to aging eyes, I have always used 800 x 600 and

those
| buttons are not shown at that resolution, but pop up at higher

resolution.

| I have never seen such behavior in all my computing years and am now
| wondering what other commands in Excel and other apps I have not seen.
|
| I don't think I can stick with higher resolutions, but I will try to see
if
| I can get by using the magnification slider in the lower right corner,

at
| least for Excel.
|
| Thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim,
I see the set up. And why Carl had trouble..

NickHK

"Jim Rech" wrote in message
So you are saying menu items disappear at certain resolutions ?

Not exactly although I think you could have gotten that impression from

what
Carl wrote. With the ribbon all commands on it are usually there, but how
big they are and whether they are labeled depends on how much room Excel

has
to work with. The ribbon resizes controls in a predetermined way as you
make the Excel window bigger or smaller.

I've attached 3 JPGs. In BigXL.JPG you see all of the leftmost 6 controls
of the Window group of the View tab. All 6 are labeled but the first 3

are
large and the next 3 are small. (The Unhide button is the one Carl was
looking for). This is with Excel maximized on a monitor with 1920x1200
resolution so I think the second three never get large.

In SmallXL.JPG I've made the Excel window smaller and you can see that the
left 3 controls are still labeled but now of the small size. And the

second
3 are still small but now unlabeled. I think this is what Carl was

looking
at and just didn't see the second 3 as separate controls from the first 3.

In TinyXL.JPG you see that with Excel small enough the entire Window group
shrinks down to a single dropdown.

I left out one stage where all 6 are small and labeled.

--
Jim