Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default "Form" to add data with?

I've never seen this so don't know if it's even possible -- can one do
something in Excel that approaches a database form?

In other words, can .an ordinary spreadsheet be enhanced with a user
input box that pops up with places where user types in pertinent data.
Then by pressing perhaps an "add new record" button on that form, the
data then gets dumped into the spreadsheet and the form is cleared
ready for a new "record".

Can this be done? I'm guessing it might be rather complicated, but
just curious.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi StargateFan,

Try Excels's dataform ( Menu | Data Form).

Alternatively, try John Walkenbach's Enhanced DataForm at:

J-Walk Enhanced Data Form v2
http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/

---
Regards,
Norman
Microsoft Excel MVP

"StargateFan" wrote in message
I've never seen this so don't know if it's even possible -- can one do
something in Excel that approaches a database form?

In other words, can .an ordinary spreadsheet be enhanced with a user
input box that pops up with places where user types in pertinent data.
Then by pressing perhaps an "add new record" button on that form, the
data then gets dumped into the spreadsheet and the form is cleared
ready for a new "record".

Can this be done? I'm guessing it might be rather complicated, but
just curious.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 19:12:50 +0100, "Norman Jones"
wrote:

Hi StargateFan,

Try Excels's dataform ( Menu | Data Form).

Well, holy hannah, I've never seen that before. That is too kewl for
words. I'm in XL2K, so I found this under DATA FORM (I should have
mentioned my Excel version, sorry).

Alternatively, try John Walkenbach's Enhanced DataForm at:

J-Walk Enhanced Data Form v2
http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/

Will take a look at this, thanks. Probably not feasible via an addin
as the XL file is saved in a doct management environment and I don't
believe add-ins can be in any way "embedded" into a file. Best to
just use the native Excel one in this case.

later ...
yup, works great. I added code in to a floating commandbar for this
sheet so user can use this way to enter data or the traditional
line-by-line way.

Thanks. :oD

---
Regards,
Norman
Microsoft Excel MVP

"StargateFan" wrote in message
.. .
I've never seen this so don't know if it's even possible -- can one do
something in Excel that approaches a database form?

In other words, can .an ordinary spreadsheet be enhanced with a user
input box that pops up with places where user types in pertinent data.
Then by pressing perhaps an "add new record" button on that form, the
data then gets dumped into the spreadsheet and the form is cleared
ready for a new "record".

Can this be done? I'm guessing it might be rather complicated, but
just curious.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That example was from xl2000, click on the picture to show the userform,
I forgot to mention that,
also enable macros

--
davesexcel