-   -   how do i make a visual basic function calculate every cycle? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/387390-how-do-i-make-visual-basic-function-calculate-every-cycle.html)

MOnte

how do i make a visual basic function calculate every cycle?

how do i make a visual basic function calculate every cycle? I am
constructing a visual basic function in Excell that returns a result using
only clock input, that is NOT DEPENDENT upon cell data. Normal functions
calculate only when inputs change; There are no inputs; so it calculates once
and never again.

joel

how do i make a visual basic function calculate every cycle?

Are you using a function or a subroutine? The reason I'm asking is a
function can't write to the worksheet (only read). If you are using a
subroutine simply have the macro write to a cell in the worksheet. make sure
events arre enabled.

"MOnte" wrote:

how do i make a visual basic function calculate every cycle? I am
constructing a visual basic function in Excell that returns a result using
only clock input, that is NOT DEPENDENT upon cell data. Normal functions
calculate only when inputs change; There are no inputs; so it calculates once
and never again.

MOnte

how do i make a visual basic function calculate every cycle?

I am constructing a Public Function that will be activated within a cell
("=gTime()"). I want the cell to be re-Calculated on every screen update.
The function will return a value which is the specially computed elapsed time.

"MOnte" wrote:

how do i make a visual basic function calculate every cycle? I am
constructing a visual basic function in Excell that returns a result using
only clock input, that is NOT DEPENDENT upon cell data. Normal functions
calculate only when inputs change; There are no inputs; so it calculates once
and never again.

joel

how do i make a visual basic function calculate every cycle?

If not familar with what you are doing. Is it possible to run a sub with the
timer rather than a function? Have the sub everytime the timer expires to
write the time to the worksheet. Then everything will get recalulated.

"MOnte" wrote:

how do i make a visual basic function calculate every cycle? I am
constructing a visual basic function in Excell that returns a result using
only clock input, that is NOT DEPENDENT upon cell data. Normal functions
calculate only when inputs change; There are no inputs; so it calculates once
and never again.

Tim

how do i make a visual basic function calculate every cycle?

=gTime(Now())

The "Now()" parameter will cause a recalculation every time the sheet is
recalculated (but not on every "screen update").

It's not too clear what you mean by "every cycle" - cycle of what ?

Tim