Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Add-Ins aren't loading

Hello,

I have an external app that is opening Excel. When Excel loads none
of the add-ins are being loaded with it. The add-ins are listed and
checked in the add-in installation box. However none of the add-in
code seems to have activated (i.e. no custom menus are loading). None
of the add-ins are showing up in the VBA project explorer.

If I save the spreadsheet generated by the external app then open that
spreadsheet from scratch then I get all the add-ins.

I suspect that the external app is a VB6.0 app and I didn't code it so
if there's an issue with the ext. app I can't fix that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Allen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tim Tim is offline

Opening Excel via automation doesn't load any add-ins: you'll have to load
them via code.
This will be a bit tricky though if you don't have access to the code
openeing Excel.

Tim

"Allen Lance" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I have an external app that is opening Excel. When Excel loads none
of the add-ins are being loaded with it. The add-ins are listed and
checked in the add-in installation box. However none of the add-in
code seems to have activated (i.e. no custom menus are loading). None
of the add-ins are showing up in the VBA project explorer.

If I save the spreadsheet generated by the external app then open that
spreadsheet from scratch then I get all the add-ins.

I suspect that the external app is a VB6.0 app and I didn't code it so
if there's an issue with the ext. app I can't fix that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Allen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Allen,

Indeed with automation you need to open the addins, eg,

Sub test()
Dim objAddin As Object ' if early binding declare fully
Dim objWB As Object

With CreateObject("Excel.Application")
On Error Resume Next ' problem with some, eg funcres.xla
For Each objAddin In .AddIns
If objAddin.Installed Then
Set objWB = .Workbooks.Open(objAddin.FullName)
objWB.RunAutoMacros xlAutoOpen
End If
Next
.Visible = True
End With

End Sub

might also want to open Personal.xls from the startup folder

Regards,
Peter T

"Allen Lance" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I have an external app that is opening Excel. When Excel loads none
of the add-ins are being loaded with it. The add-ins are listed and
checked in the add-in installation box. However none of the add-in
code seems to have activated (i.e. no custom menus are loading). None
of the add-ins are showing up in the VBA project explorer.

If I save the spreadsheet generated by the external app then open that
spreadsheet from scratch then I get all the add-ins.

I suspect that the external app is a VB6.0 app and I didn't code it so
if there's an issue with the ext. app I can't fix that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Allen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Since I don't have access to the
code I'll just have to deal with this through documentation rather
than automation :)

Allen