Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default is there a way to avoid repeating yourself in an excel if formula?

is there a way to avoid repeating yourself in an excel if formula?

for example:

=IF(ROUND(+E4/4,-3)10000,ROUND(+E4/4,-3),0)

when excel evaluates the expression as true, you need to type in and
evaluate the formula again.

is there a better way?

-greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

check toolsoptionscalculation tab and automatic is selected
--
John
MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)

" wrote:

is there a way to avoid repeating yourself in an excel if formula?

for example:

=IF(ROUND(+E4/4,-3)10000,ROUND(+E4/4,-3),0)

when excel evaluates the expression as true, you need to type in and
evaluate the formula again.

is there a better way?

-greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default is there a way to avoid repeating yourself in an excel if form

John,

What am I missing here? How does automatic calculation resolve his question
about his IF function?

Thanks,
Barb

" wrote:

is there a way to avoid repeating yourself in an excel if formula?

for example:

=IF(ROUND(+E4/4,-3)10000,ROUND(+E4/4,-3),0)

when excel evaluates the expression as true, you need to type in and
evaluate the formula again.

is there a better way?

-greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The way you have your formula is correct. There is no easy way around
duplicating the the test condition in the output ...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

" wrote:

is there a way to avoid repeating yourself in an excel if formula?

for example:

=IF(ROUND(+E4/4,-3)10000,ROUND(+E4/4,-3),0)

when excel evaluates the expression as true, you need to type in and
evaluate the formula again.

is there a better way?

-greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

....Is there a way to avoid repeating yourself in an excel if formula?

=IF(ROUND(+E4/4,-3)10000,ROUND(+E4/4,-3),0)

Hi. Not really, as others have mentioned.
Here's a poor-mans version of a signal pulse:

=GESTEP(A1,38000)*ROUND(A1/4,-3)

Excel 2007 made a step in the right direction with IfError.

=IFERROR(A1/0,"Error")

I was hoping, like you, that there was a more efficient way to write the
above in Excel 2007.

--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

wrote in message
oups.com...

is there a way to avoid repeating yourself in an excel if formula?

for example:

=IF(ROUND(+E4/4,-3)10000,ROUND(+E4/4,-3),0)

when excel evaluates the expression as true, you need to type in and
evaluate the formula again.

is there a better way?

-greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Art Art is offline

Dana,

=GESTEP(A1,38000)*ROUND(A1/4,-3)

Nice! I never noticed GESTEP before -- thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi. I don't think it's used very much anymore, as it is usually written
like this now:

= --(A1=38000)*ROUND(A1/4,-3)

--
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP & Office 2007

"Art" wrote in message
Dana,

=GESTEP(A1,38000)*ROUND(A1/4,-3)

Nice! I never noticed GESTEP before -- thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Apr 12, 9:13 pm, "Dana DeLouis" wrote:
Hi. I don't think it's used very much anymore, as it is usually written
like this now:

= --(A1=38000)*ROUND(A1/4,-3)

thanks.

how about defining a name?