Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Validation Error - Please Help!!!

I have macro that sets up a validation list on a cell. When the macro
is called by the Worksheet_Change event it works fine, but when I call
the macro from another macro in a standard module I get Run-time error
'1004' Application-Defined or Object-Defined error. Is there anyone
that can explain this to me, I am in diar need.

Thanks
Kyle Kelsch

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is the code. Now when I change "A1" it calls the Sub
AddValidation and works fine, But when I click CommandButton1 it calls
the Sub ChangeRange which changes ("A1") which in turn calls Sub
AddValidation and that is when I get the error on the .Add Type line
in the Sub AddValidation. My code is much to much to post here so I
did this code (which is the same thing on a much smaller scale) and
got the same result . Any input would be awsome.

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A1")) Is Nothing Then
Call AddValidation
Else
Exit Sub

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

Call ChangeRange

Sub AddValidation ()

If Range("D1") < "" Then
With rOpt1Choices.Validation
.Add Type:=xlValidateList, AlertStyle:=xlValidAlertStop,
Operator:= _
xlBetween, Formula1:=Range("D1")
.IgnoreBlank = True
.InCellDropdown = True
.InputTitle = ""
.ErrorTitle = "Invalid Entry"
.InputMessage = ""
.ErrorMessage = "Please make a choice from the drop down
list"
.ShowInput = True
.ShowError = True
End With

Sub ChangeRange ()

Range("A1") = Range("B1")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I really need this to work for me and am hoping for a response so I am
going to keep posting to this until I get a response.
Great and many thanks to anyone who has any input or work arounds or
anything.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

FIrst, you're missing an END IF in this code

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A1")) Is Nothing Then
Call AddValidation
Else
Exit Sub
END IF

End Sub

--- Next problem

Sub AddValidation ()

If Range("D1") < "" Then
With rOpt1Choices.Validation '<~~~what is rOpt1Choices?

" wrote:

I really need this to work for me and am hoping for a response so I am
going to keep posting to this until I get a response.
Great and many thanks to anyone who has any input or work arounds or
anything.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Add a check of which WS you are working. That should give you an idea

Sub AddValidation ()
msgbox Range("D1").parent.name
If Range("D1") < "" Then

NickHK

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yeah I did leave out the End If in my post, however my code in my
workbook does have it. Also as I stated before, this is just a very
small version of what I really have so as for the rOpt1Choices I meant
to have that say Range("C1") which I also have in my workbook.

I put the above code in a new workbook with the correct changes and I
still get the error. I think it has something to do with the command
button because it only gives me a problem when I start the macro with
the command button. As for the check of which worksheet I am on , I
can give it a try but am not very hopeful.

Thanks for the input. And if there is anyone else that would like to
give a stab at it I would greatly appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Kyle,

Please would you post the problematic code?

---
Regards,
Norman

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have macro that sets up a validation list on a cell. When the macro
is called by the Worksheet_Change event it works fine, but when I call
the macro from another macro in a standard module I get Run-time error
'1004' Application-Defined or Object-Defined error. Is there anyone
that can explain this to me, I am in diar need.

Thanks
Kyle Kelsch

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It would help if you'd tell us what line it stops on and the error message.
You may want to add a bunch of debug.prints. You may be referring to the
wrong worksheet. Try entering something like
debug.print range("D1").parent.name
to find out what worksheet it thinks it's referring to.

" wrote:

Yeah I did leave out the End If in my post, however my code in my
workbook does have it. Also as I stated before, this is just a very
small version of what I really have so as for the rOpt1Choices I meant
to have that say Range("C1") which I also have in my workbook.

I put the above code in a new workbook with the correct changes and I
still get the error. I think it has something to do with the command
button because it only gives me a problem when I start the macro with
the command button. As for the check of which worksheet I am on , I
can give it a try but am not very hopeful.

Thanks for the input. And if there is anyone else that would like to
give a stab at it I would greatly appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Greg Wilson came up with the solution.
Set the command button's TakeFocusOnClick parameter to False.

It was that simple and I spent hours trying to figure it out. Thanks
Greg

Thanks everyone for your responses. I probable never would have got it
on my own.