Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Add values from two columns into third one in another worksheet

this is the code I will use to iterate through the data in one of the
columns. I need help to come up with the code for the second column
and then pasting in the third. Essentially what I am trying to do is:

Column A Column B Column C (another worksheet)
a e a + e
b h b + h
c l c + l
blank p blank + p
d m d + m

and so on

For i = 1 To lLastCol

If Cells(5, i).Value = SearchAcc Then
Cells(5, i).Offset(1, 0).Select
Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Copy
Workbooks("workbook").Sheets("worksheet").Range("$ AV
$7").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks
_
:=False, Transpose:=False

End If

Next i

Thank you in advance for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe I just can't read good any more. I seem to see three different
descriptions of an objective. The illustration of data shows that values in
column A is added to the values in column B and the result is posted to
column C in a different sheet.

The code shows that each column in the active workbook is copied to Range
AV7 on a workbook named workbook. Since each iteration copies to the same
range, only the last iteration will survive.

You need to clearly state what you want to do with the data on the active
sheet and then define how you want it to be arranged on the destination
sheet. i.e. append each iteration vertically, or append each iteration
horizontally, etc. Leave blank line between iteration, don't leave blank
lines. If you can describe it, it can be built.

"minkokiss" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"minkokiss" wrote:
[...]

I apologize for the confusion. The situation is the following: I get a
monthly report from a cell phone company but the headers on this
report are not the same each month(God knows why) so what I am trying
to do is:

1) Find the first column by searching through the headers for a
particular string
2) Find the second column by doing the same
3) Go through each of the two columns row by row and sum the rows of A
and B and paste them into same row in C.
For example sum row 1 of column a with row 1 of column B and paste in
row 1 column C. Then do the same with all the rows with data in rows A
and B and paste into C.

Does that bring clarification to my issue or I got everybody more
confused?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Add values from two columns into third one in another workshee

You will need to replace Header1 and Header2 with the actual string that you
search for. You will also need to change worksheets(2) to the worksheet name
or number that you want to copy the columns to. If you want them to be
pasted to other than columns A and B in worksheets(2), then you will also
have to change those designations. Other than that, put this in the standard
module of the active workbook that contains the data to be searched and it
will find your columns, copy them, add them and post the values in column C
on worksheets (2). Have fun.

Sub findCopyPasteAdd()
lr = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
With ActiveSheet.UsedRange
Set c = .Find("Header1", After:=ActiveSheet.Range("A" & lr))
If Not c Is Nothing Then
x = c.Address
Range(x).EntireColumn.Copy Worksheets(2).Range("A1")
Application.CutCopyMode = False
End If
Set i = .Find("Header2", After:=ActiveSheet.Range("A" & lr))
If Not i Is Nothing Then
y = i.Address
Range(y).EntireColumn.Copy Worksheets(2).Range("B1")
End If
Application.CutCopyMode = False
End With
With Worksheets(2).Range("A1:C" & Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row)
.Cells(1, 3) = "Total"
i = 2
Do Until .Cells(i, 1) = ""
.Cells(i, 3).Value = .Cells(i, 1).Value + .Cells(i, 2).Value
i = i + 1
Loop
End With
End Sub

"minkokiss" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Change the line:

Do Until Cells(i, 1) = ""

Do Until Cells(i, 1) = lr

"minkokiss" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Apr 11, 10:08 pm, JLGWhiz
wrote:
That should be Do Until i = lr

"minkokiss" wrote:
[...]

Fist of all thank you so much for the help. I need to ask you some
questions and most this is because I was not clear in what I want
accomplished. Your suggested solution copies columns A and B to the
new worksheet and then adds the values together and pastes them into
the third. I want to only use the values from A and B without copying
them or moving them, add the values up and then paste in column C (all
this in the program) row by row. Also in the code you select the
entire column and my values are below the header row (which is a
locked row) and using the entire column method will select everything
including the header (I have used it before and had bad experience).
Could you tell me what needs modified under these circumstances? Thank
you for taking the time to educate newbies.

Minko

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Apr 11, 10:08 pm, JLGWhiz
wrote:
That should be Do Until i = lr

"minkokiss" wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot for your help JLGWhiz. Your code helped me a little bit
but it is still not what I am looking for. This is just because I
don't know how to explain stuff :) So ok few issues for me:

1. I don't want the columns to be copied and pasted to the second
sheet in their entirety. I just want the values from them (under the
headings) since the sheet I am pasting data already has different
headings and formatting in place.

2. I do not want columns A and B copied at all I just want to use the
data from them and copy the result of each A+B row to the C row on
the other sheet. For example I have the values 1 and 2 in A and B in
sheet one and I want to write a program evaluating the total (3) and
pasting ONLY the total in a row in C (on the other sheet). I would
like to do this for every row in A and B and fill C with the results.

Do you understand what I am looking for? If yes please let me know if
there is a way I can modify the code you sent me to accomplish what I
am looking for. Thank you for helping the newbie out. Your help is
greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Working with the information you provided, I assumed a second worksheet would
be needed since you said you had to search for the column hearders with a
specific string. I have no idea what your source document looks like, so I
made the macro so it would find the data, capture the data and put the data
in a place that could then be specifically referenced. This allowed the
columns for each row to be summed. Thus the second sheet. I still don't
know those things about your source document, but here is code that only
copies from the second row down and pastes without headers. You can play
with it from there.

Sub findCopyPasteAdd()
lr = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
With ActiveSheet.UsedRange
Set c = .Find("Header1", After:=ActiveSheet.Range("A" & lr))
If Not c Is Nothing Then
x = c.Address
Range(Cells(Range(x).Offset(1, 0).Row, Range(x).Column), Cells(lr,
Range(x).Column)).Copy Worksheets(2).Range("A2")
Application.CutCopyMode = False
End If
Set i = .Find("Header2", After:=ActiveSheet.Range("A" & lr))
If Not i Is Nothing Then
y = i.Address
Range(Cells(Range(y).Offset(1, 0).Row, Range(y).Column), Cells(lr,
Range(y).Column)).Copy Worksheets(2).Range("B2")
End If
Application.CutCopyMode = False
End With
With Worksheets(2).Range("A1:C" & Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row)
lr2 = Worksheets(2).Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
i = 2
Do Until i = lr2 + 1
.Cells(i, 3).Value = .Cells(i, 1).Value + .Cells(i, 2).Value
i = i + 1
Loop
End With
End Sub

"minkokiss" wrote:

On Apr 11, 10:08 pm, JLGWhiz
wrote:
That should be Do Until i = lr

"minkokiss" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is what I suggest:

1. Make a new posting to this discussion group.
2. Post the code that I have given you.
3. Identify the sheet you have your source data on by either the sheet name
or number, i.e. sheet1, sheet2, etc. as displayed on the tabs at the bottom
of your screen.
4. Identify the sheet you want data to be pasted to by sheet name or
number, as described above.
5. When you refer to columns A, B and C, specify which sheet you are
referring to in terms of copying and again in pasting.
6. As best you can, if you have a sheet layout for your source data,
describe it with which rows or columns contain data and what kind. If any
rows or columns in the used range are consistently blank at the beginning of
a session, then identify them and what they are used for during the session.
7. Remember that folks on this end cannot see your monitor screen and have
no idea what type of data you are working with. You have to be the eyes of
the code writer.
8. Again, you should start a new thread as described above. Some of us
will see it and answer it.

"minkokiss" wrote:

On Apr 11, 10:08 pm, JLGWhiz
wrote: