Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Cancel = True

First of all, thanks everyone for the invaluable help you've provided me on
this message board! ...now....

code:

'code to hide certain sheets
Me.Save
Cancel = True
'code to unhide certain sheets
End Sub

question: what exactly does the Cancel = True do (or not do)?
I found that when I was trying to Save As a new filename that I was not
being given the option to change the name. when I comment out the Cancel =
True line in my BeforeSave procedure I am able to do save with a new filename
when doing a Save As. I want to understand why this is so, so that I know
that I am not inadvertently causing other potential problems by removing the
Cancel = True.

TIA
Tanya (vba newbie)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Tanya,

Cancel=True in the BeforeSave event means cancel the save operation. If
Cancel=False, Excel will proceed with saving your file at the end of the
event. You need to have Cancel=True because you had already saved the
workbook on the previous line and there's no need for Excel to save it again.
Furthermore, if you take that line out, Excel will end up saving your
workbook after you unhide the sheets.

Try your BeforeSave code like this:

Dim strSaveAs As String

Cancel = True

If SaveAsUI = True Then
'get a save as filename from the user
strSaveAs = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(Me.Name, "Excel Files
(*.xls), *.xls", 1)
If strSaveAs = "False" Then
'user cancelled the save as operation
Exit Sub

'code to hide certain sheets

Application.EnableEvents = False
If SaveAsUI = True Then
Me.SaveAs strSaveAs
Else
Me.Save
End If
Application.EnableEvents = True

'code to unhide certain sheets

Hope that helps.

Vergel Adriano

"JustBreathe" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Awesome! I tested to see if what you said was happening was and you were
right. Then I was able fit your suggested code in and it is worked just
right on the first try.

.....I'm starting to scare myself that I'm actually able to decipher and
apply the advice you folks are able to provide :P

Tanya (newbie)

"JustBreathe" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Apparently I haven't got something quiet right with my procedure here. It is
saving and performing as intended when doing a Save and a Save As, but is not
actually saving the workbook when going by way of Close/Yes. Code below.
This is starting to get to complicated for my green mind to pinpoint. TIA
for any clue!!!

'Set to run each time the workbook is saved
'Userform is displayed, requiring user to provide
'percent complete and if action items are open.
'Also runs CloseHideSheets procedure so that only
'"Sheet1" with the Macro Enable reminder is
'is visible the next time the workbook is opened
'if it is opened without macros enabled
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Analysis").Activate
UserForm1.Show
Dim strSaveAs As String
Cancel = True
If SaveAsUI = True Then
'get a save as filename from the user
strSaveAs = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(Me.Name, "Excel
Files(*.xls), *.xls", 1)
If strSaveAs = "False" Then
'user cancelled the save as operation
Exit Sub
On Error GoTo Event_Exit
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.EnableEvents = False
CloseHideSheets
If SaveAsUI = True Then
Me.SaveAs strSaveAs
Else
Me.Save
End If
Application.EnableEvents = True
OpenUnhideSheets
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Analysis").Activate
Event_Exit:
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.EnableEvents = True

'Set to run each time the workbook is closed
'It allows the user to go back to the working
'tabs if they choose to cancel the close
On Error GoTo Event_Exit
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim Msg As String
If Me.Saved = False Then
Msg = "Do you want to save the changes you made to "
Msg = Msg & Me.Name & "?"
Ans = MsgBox(Msg, vbQuestion + vbYesNoCancel)
Select Case Ans
Case vbYes
Call CloseHideSheets
Me.Save