Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Specific list sorting

Hello,

I am trying to write an Excel "martial art competition" program that will
populate a 8-fighter bracket from a list of fighters sorted by weight.
There are 2 requirements, weight difference between 2 fighters can't be more
than 10 pounds and they can't be from the same club (at list in the first
round).
This is not exactly an Excel technical question, but I figured that a lot of
you, Excel experts, must me faced with list sorting challenges and may have
come across resources that could help me.

Suggestions, ideas, pointers, URL's welcome... Thank you in advance.

Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Eric,

Do you want a Random - Program generated fight list, or do you want to
manually create one within the validation rules you have?

How many fighters from each club are there? Is it One-Vs-One, or is
it Eight-Vs-Eight (Bruce Lee Style)?

Regards

Greg

On Mar 30, 1:46 pm, "Eric" wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to write an Excel "martial art competition" program that will
populate a 8-fighter bracket from a list of fighters sorted by weight.
There are 2 requirements, weight difference between 2 fighters can't be more
than 10 pounds and they can't be from the same club (at list in the first
round).
This is not exactly an Excel technical question, but I figured that a lot of
you, Excel experts, must me faced with list sorting challenges and may have
come across resources that could help me.

Suggestions, ideas, pointers, URL's welcome... Thank you in advance.

Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Eric,
What happens if say:
- 10 entrants from 1 club, 2 from another. Some from the same club must
fight or only 2 matches in the first round ?
- The 10 lb weight difference is exceeded in the only possible combination.
Allow or not ?

NickHK

"Eric" wrote in message
Greg,

I have attached a snapshot of the bracket I will be using. It is not a

team
competition, I guess that's what you meant by Eight-Vs-Eight.
I have the final list the day of the competition and I don't know in

advance
the number of fighters from each club.
My idea was first to sort the list by weight order and then to rearange

the
list again based on the 2 rules so at the end fighter 1 in the list goes

on
position 1 of the first bracket, fighter 2 goes on position 2 of bracket

1,
...fighter 9 goes on position 1 of bracket 2, .....

Thanks.

Eric

oups.com...

On Mar 30, 1:46 pm, "Eric" wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to write an Excel "martial art competition" program that

will
populate a 8-fighter bracket from a list of fighters sorted by weight.
There are 2 requirements, weight difference between 2 fighters can't

be
more
than 10 pounds and they can't be from the same club (at list in the

first
round).
This is not exactly an Excel technical question, but I figured that a

lot of
you, Excel experts, must me faced with list sorting challenges and may

have
come across resources that could help me.

Suggestions, ideas, pointers, URL's welcome... Thank you in advance.

Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Nick,

- 10 entrants from 1 club, 2 from another. Some from the same club must
fight or only 2 matches in the first round ?

It depends on the weight difference. The weight rule is a security rule, so
it comes first. If the 2 from the same club are way heavier than the other
10, well they'll have to fight each other. This is why I am sorting the
original list by weight.

- The 10 lb weight difference is exceeded in the only possible
combination.
Allow or not ?

A competitor heavier than the other can't fight.
I want to start simple and then once I am happy with the first version, I
guess, I'll go fancier....

Thanx.

Eric