Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Solver slow for large workbook

Hi. I have created an excel application that totals 74MB in size. In
it, there are a number of worksheets but only one were I use the
solver to conduct an optimization. If I remove this worksheet and save
it into another workbook (so that it is the only sheet ), the
optimization (solver) runs very quickly. However, if I leave this
sheet as part of the large workbook, the optimization works rather
slowly. I have reasearched this a bit and found that people point to
recalculation inefficiencies and volatile functions in particular.
Even if i clear the sheets that contain some volatile functions,
solver runs slow when the sheet is part of the large workbook. Is this
to say that solver works poorly in large workbooks regardles of how
sophisticated or well implemented the workbook may be?

best regards.