Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Object works in Excel 2000 but not in 2003

I have a spreadsheet which is used as a template throughout the organization
for travel expenses and reimbursements. Recently I upgraded from MS Office
2000 to MS Office 2003 and now the form does not work as it used to.

On the spreadsheet there is a cell which you can click on to choose from a
list of descriptions. However, when I click on the cell in Excel 2003 and
attempt to choose any of the descriptions listed I get a message saying "The
cell or chart you are trying to change is protected and therefore read-only.
To modify a protected cell or chart, first remove protection using the
unprotect sheet command (Tools menu, Protection submenu). You may be prompted
for a password."

A user is supposed to choose one of the preconfigured descriptions and not
be able to change or edit that information. This same worksheet works well in
Exel 2000. I used a laptop which was not converted as yet to open the
spreadsheet to make sure it was not corrupted or changed and it works the way
it is intended to.

Does anyone know what I can do in Excel 2003 to have the same functionality
as in Excel 2000?

Thanks
Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I did not know where to do that however I found another solution. If I open
the file, select all, and paste it into a new worksheet I can get the feature
to work as it used to.

I do not know why this process worked when a normal resaving of the file
didn't fix the problem.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to help me with this.

Robert

"Jim Jackson" wrote:

You can use Activesheet.unprotect just before the selecting from drop-down
and Activesheet.Protect immediately after. This will get past the problem
and protect the data as well.
--
Best wishes,

Jim