Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Converting time format in hours mins to minutes

I've tried converting say 02:30 (hr min) into minutes by using Custom format
mm ss - but it doesn't seem to work.

What the correct way to do this?

many thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

[m]:ss

or
[m]

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Zakynthos" wrote in message ...
| I've tried converting say 02:30 (hr min) into minutes by using Custom format
| mm ss - but it doesn't seem to work.
|
| What the correct way to do this?
|
| many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Many thanks - I did try that but it didn't work!!! only giving the minutes as
a result and ignoring the hours eg 02:30 was formatted as 30

I then tred a Google search as I needed the answer urgently and found that
multiplying by 24 then by 60 then formatting result as whole number did the
trick.

"Zakynthos" wrote:

I've tried converting say 02:30 (hr min) into minutes by using Custom format
mm ss - but it doesn't seem to work.

What the correct way to do this?

many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Zakynthos" wrote:
I've tried converting say 02:30 (hr min) into minutes by using Custom format
mm ss - but it doesn't seem to work.

What the correct way to do this?

many thanks- Hide quoted text -

Try the "MINUTE" function in Excel. Search Excel Help "Minute" to see
how it works exactly. If you go to Menu Bar: Insert/Function, and
change the drop down box to "Date & Time" you'll see a number of time
functions that are available to you. You shouldn't have to do
x*24/60.

Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Matt,

Thanks for your help on this - I really appreciate your comments - too late
for today's work but I'll certainly use it on future occasions.

Best wishes,

Tony