Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to share a private key

The Excel help under "Create your own digital certificate " says,
"Microsoft Office will only trust a self-signed certificate on a computer
that has the private key for that certificate available (generally only the
computer that actually created the certificate, unless the private key is
shared with other computers)."

How can I share a private key wiuth other computers. Where is the key
located?

Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\SELFCERT.EXE"

OFFICE11 part depends on your Office version.
After creating your certificate, you can sign your VBA projects.

--
Haldun Alay

, haber iletisinde sunlari
.. .
The Excel help under "Create your own digital certificate " says,
"Microsoft Office will only trust a self-signed certificate on a computer
that has the private key for that certificate available (generally only
the
computer that actually created the certificate, unless the private key is
shared with other computers)."

How can I share a private key wiuth other computers. Where is the key
located?

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your reply, but I guess I was not clear when asking the
question. I was not asking:
how to create a certificate, or
self sign a project.

I was asking
1. where the private key that gets created when you self sign is
stored, and
2. how I can share that key with someone else.

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:21:27 +0200, "Haldun Alay"
wrote:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\SELFCERT.EXE"

OFFICE11 part depends on your Office version.
After creating your certificate, you can sign your VBA projects.

--
Haldun Alay

, haber iletisinde sunlari
. ..
The Excel help under "Create your own digital certificate " says,
"Microsoft Office will only trust a self-signed certificate on a computer
that has the private key for that certificate available (generally only
the
computer that actually created the certificate, unless the private key is
shared with other computers)."

How can I share a private key wiuth other computers. Where is the key
located?

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Start, Run, certmgr.msc

Personal, Certificates, select it, right click, export....

Not really sure after that, never tried it, but it's a start.

Robin Hammond
www.enhanceddatasystems.com

wrote:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\SELFCERT.EXE"

OFFICE11 part depends on your Office version.
After creating your certificate, you can sign your VBA projects.

--
Haldun Alay

, haber iletisinde sunlari
The Excel help under "Create your own digital certificate " says,
"Microsoft Office will only trust a self-signed certificate on a
computer
that has the private key for that certificate available (generally only
the
computer that actually created the certificate, unless the private key
is
shared with other computers)."

How can I share a private key wiuth other computers. Where is the key
located?

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

IIRC:
If you create a cert and sign your code, when another user opens your WB
they will be asked whether they trust the signer. They can choose to trust
all WB with that same cert.
Also, you can save the cert (using Robin's method) and send that on its own.
The user can then add it to their cert store.

....or something like that...

NickHK

wrote in message
The Excel help under "Create your own digital certificate " says,
"Microsoft Office will only trust a self-signed certificate on a computer
that has the private key for that certificate available (generally only

the
computer that actually created the certificate, unless the private key is
shared with other computers)."

How can I share a private key wiuth other computers. Where is the key
located?

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry to do this in the public groups, but...

Nick,

Your phone number has changed and I've lost your email. Can you email me
back with new contact details.

Robin.