Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel version

Hello,

I am trying to identify what version of Excel is install on a system? Is
there an environment variable or a Reg key that would give me this
information?

Thank you.

Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Application.Version
will return 11 for 2003, 12 for 2007

environ variables i know of for your reference:

ALLUSERSPROFILE
APPDATA
CommonProgramFiles
COMPUTERNAME
ComSpec
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK
HOMEDRIVE
HOMEPATH
LOGONSERVER
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS
OS
Path
PATHEXT
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER
PROCESSOR_LEVEL
PROCESSOR_REVISION
ProgramFiles
SESSIONNAME
SystemDrive
SystemRoot
TEMP
TMP
USERDOMAIN
USERNAME
USERPROFILE
WecVersionForRosebud.828
windir

--

Gary

"Eric" wrote in message
Hello,

I am trying to identify what version of Excel is install on a system? Is
there an environment variable or a Reg key that would give me this
information?

Thank you.

Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Have a look in [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Application\CurVer]

That might be enough to identify your version.

Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Eric,
I have these 2 keys, as I have 2 versions of Office installed:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Application.9
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Application.10

NickHK

"Eric" wrote in message
Hello,

I am trying to identify what version of Excel is install on a system?

Is
there an environment variable or a Reg key that would give me this
information?

Thank you.

Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My concern with registry entries in general is are they removed if the
product is uninstalled? I think Office itself looks to the HKLM keys such
as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0.

--
Jim
"NickHK" wrote in message
| Eric,
| I have these 2 keys, as I have 2 versions of Office installed:
|
| HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Application.9
| HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Application.10
|
| NickHK
|
| "Eric" wrote in message
| Hi Gary,
|
| Anything that would work outside Excel?
|
| Eric
|
| "Gary Keramidas" <GKeramidasATmsn.com wrote in message
| Application.Version
| will return 11 for 2003, 12 for 2007
|
| environ variables i know of for your reference:
|
| ALLUSERSPROFILE
| APPDATA
| CommonProgramFiles
| COMPUTERNAME
| ComSpec
| FP_NO_HOST_CHECK
| HOMEDRIVE
| HOMEPATH
| LOGONSERVER
| NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS
| OS
| Path
| PATHEXT
| PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE
| PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER
| PROCESSOR_LEVEL
| PROCESSOR_REVISION
| ProgramFiles
| SESSIONNAME
| SystemDrive
| SystemRoot
| TEMP
| TMP
| USERDOMAIN
| USERNAME
| USERPROFILE
| WecVersionForRosebud.828
| windir
|

| --
|

| Gary
|

| "Eric" wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| I am trying to identify what version of Excel is install on a
system?
| Is
| there an environment variable or a Reg key that would give me this
| information?
|
| Thank you.
|
| Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim,
I was going to suggest just trying to instantiate the version, but then
noticed that I can only see the latest version, which seems strange.
I get this in the Immediate window
Excel version 10.0 is installed.
Excel version 10.0 is installed.

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim i As Long
Dim RetVal As Variant

RetVal = GetExcelVersions()

If IsArray(RetVal) Then
For i = LBound(RetVal) To UBound(RetVal)
Debug.Print "Excel version " & RetVal(i) & " is installed."
Next
Else

Private Function GetExcelVersions() As Variant
Dim i As Long
Dim ExcelApp As Object
Dim Versions As String

On Error Resume Next
For i = 5 To 15
Set ExcelApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application." & i)
If Not ExcelApp Is Nothing Then
Versions = Versions & ExcelApp.Version & ","
ExcelApp.Quit
Set ExcelApp = Nothing
End If
Next

If Len(Versions) 0 Then
GetExcelVersions = Split(Left(Versions, Len(Versions) - 1), ",")
Else
GetExcelVersions = False
End If

End Function

NickHK

"NickHK" wrote in message
| Eric,
| I have these 2 keys, as I have 2 versions of Office installed:
|
| HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Application.9
| HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Application.10
|
| NickHK
|
| "Eric" wrote in message
| Hi Gary,
|
| Anything that would work outside Excel?
|
| Eric
|
| "Gary Keramidas" <GKeramidasATmsn.com wrote in message
| Application.Version
| will return 11 for 2003, 12 for 2007
|
| environ variables i know of for your reference:
|
| ALLUSERSPROFILE
| APPDATA
| CommonProgramFiles
| COMPUTERNAME
| ComSpec
| FP_NO_HOST_CHECK
| HOMEDRIVE
| HOMEPATH
| LOGONSERVER
| NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS
| OS
| Path
| PATHEXT
| PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE
| PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER
| PROCESSOR_LEVEL
| PROCESSOR_REVISION
| ProgramFiles
| SESSIONNAME
| SystemDrive
| SystemRoot
| TEMP
| TMP
| USERDOMAIN
| USERNAME
| USERPROFILE
| WecVersionForRosebud.828
| windir
|

| --
|

| Gary
|

| "Eric" wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| I am trying to identify what version of Excel is install on a
system?
| Is
| there an environment variable or a Reg key that would give me this
| information?
|
| Thank you.
|
| Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi there,

Bumped into this : Microsoft Office Version Detector

http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/OfficeVersion.asp

Enjoy,
Joop