Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Adding Custom property

Hello World!

How can I add a custom property to the active workbook? Following code looks
OK to me, but produces a run-time error (invalid procedure call or
argument):

ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties.Add Name:="NumberOfSheets",
_
LinkToContent:=False, _
Type:=msoPropertyTypeNumber, _
Value:=ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count

Thanks,

Joerg Mochikun

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Joerg,
Your code works for me in XL2002, but I have had difficulties sometimes
working with this collection.
Make sure this property does not already exist
Close the WB, open it again and try the code.

NickHK

"Joerg" wrote in message
Hello World!

How can I add a custom property to the active workbook? Following code

looks
OK to me, but produces a run-time error (invalid procedure call or
argument):

ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties.Add

Name:="NumberOfSheets",
_
LinkToContent:=False, _
Type:=msoPropertyTypeNumber, _
Value:=ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count

Thanks,

Joerg Mochikun

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your quick reply. Property doesn't exist. If created manually,
then using it (e.g.
ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties("NumberOfS heets") =
ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count)
works fine. Just creating it with VBA is the problem. I'm using XL2003.

Joerg

"Joerg" wrote in message
Hello World!

How can I add a custom property to the active workbook? Following code

looks
OK to me, but produces a run-time error (invalid procedure call or
argument):

ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties.Add

Name:="NumberOfSheets",
_
LinkToContent:=False, _
Type:=msoPropertyTypeNumber, _
Value:=ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count

Thanks,

Joerg Mochikun

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not much of an answer, but, wanted to let you know that your code worked for
me as well. I have xl2003. The only problem I had was that it errors out
the second time I run it because the property already exists by then.

"Joerg" wrote in message
Hello World!

How can I add a custom property to the active workbook? Following code

looks
OK to me, but produces a run-time error (invalid procedure call or
argument):

ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties.Add

Name:="NumberOfSheets",
_
LinkToContent:=False, _
Type:=msoPropertyTypeNumber, _
Value:=ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count

Thanks,

Joerg Mochikun

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks. Could you then tell me the value for msoPropertyTypeNumber? When I
debug the code the value for msoPropertyTypeNumber is empty. Could explain
the error, but I found no value table in XL Help and therefore can't try to
change to an absolute value.

Joerg

"Joerg" wrote in message
Hello World!

How can I add a custom property to the active workbook? Following

code
looks
OK to me, but produces a run-time error (invalid procedure call or
argument):

ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties.Add
Name:="NumberOfSheets",
_
LinkToContent:=False, _
Type:=msoPropertyTypeNumber, _
Value:=ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count

Thanks,

Joerg Mochikun

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just want to let you know that the code works fine when the macro is
included in the workbook where the custom property is to be craeted.
However I try to run it from my Personal.xls, so that I can add the property
to any (active) workbook. This attempt failed so far...

Joerg

"Joerg" wrote in message
Hello World!

How can I add a custom property to the active workbook? Following

code
looks
OK to me, but produces a run-time error (invalid procedure call or
argument):

ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties.Add
Name:="NumberOfSheets",
_
LinkToContent:=False, _
Type:=msoPropertyTypeNumber, _
Value:=ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count

Thanks,

Joerg Mochikun

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Joerg,

I added the code as macro to my personal.xls and it worked - it added the
property to the active workbook.

msoPropertyTypeNumber value is 1.

"Joerg" wrote in message
Hello World!

How can I add a custom property to the active workbook? Following

code
looks
OK to me, but produces a run-time error (invalid procedure call or
argument):

ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties.Add
Name:="NumberOfSheets",
_
LinkToContent:=False, _
Type:=msoPropertyTypeNumber, _
Value:=ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count

Thanks,

Joerg Mochikun

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hmmm... I'm stuck. The code works indeed from Personal.xls when I define
msoPropertyTypeNumber =1, but why do I have to (re)define a built- in
constant?
Thanks anyway for your help.

"Joerg" wrote in message
Hello World!

How can I add a custom property to the active workbook?

Following
code
looks
OK to me, but produces a run-time error (invalid procedure

call or
argument):

ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties.Add
Name:="NumberOfSheets",
_
LinkToContent:=False, _
Type:=msoPropertyTypeNumber, _
Value:=ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count

Thanks,

Joerg Mochikun

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Joerg,
Only thing I think is you do not have reference to the Office xx Object
Library in that WB as it is an Office enum, not Excel.
Check the references.

NickHK

"Joerg" wrote in message
Hello World!

How can I add a custom property to the active workbook?

Following
code
looks
OK to me, but produces a run-time error (invalid procedure

call or
argument):

ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties.Add
Name:="NumberOfSheets",
_
LinkToContent:=False, _
Type:=msoPropertyTypeNumber, _
Value:=ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count

Thanks,

Joerg Mochikun

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bingo! Thanks NickHK! My Personal.xls is a very old friend and obviously not
quite up-to-date. But now that I know the cause I keep the declaration of
msoPropertyTypeNumber to make my code backward compatible.

Cheers,

Joerg Mochikun