Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default a comment box that only displays when the cell is actually selected

I have an Excel 2002 worksheet that I created a few years ago, and I can't
remember how I got a certain cells to do what it's doing.

Whenever you select that cell, a box appears just below that cell that looks
like a comment box, but without the connecting arrow. But unlike a comment
box, this one doesn't appear when you hover the cursor above the cell. It
only appears when you select the cell; and it remains visible as long as the
selection cursor remains in the cell, regardless of where you move the
cursor.

I dont' think it's any kind of a comment box, because when you right-click
on the cell, you can still select "Insert Comment" and create a separate
comment box, so that when you hover the cursor over the cell, the new
Comment box is visible, and when you click on the cell to make it the
current selection, the other mystery box appears.

Like a regular comment box, this one has a light yellow background, and you
can format the text you write in it, because I notice that I was able to set
some of the characters to a bold font. I just can't figure out how I
created that type of box. I would like to reproduce this so I can use this
type of box as an alternative to the regular comment boxes in some of my
worksheets.

How do you create these boxes that look like comment boxes, but without the
connecting arrow and that only display when you actually select the cell?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming

This is available on the Data | Validation menu - you can specify an
Input message which is displayed when you select the cell.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Mar 6, 12:46 am, "Paul Ponzelli" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel
Max Max is offline

Default a comment box that only displays when the cell is actually selecte

Select the col, click Data Validation Input tab
Type a message within the input msg box (this is what appears), click OK

Test it out by selecting any cell within the col,
you'd get the phenomena you described ..
--
Max
Singapore
"Paul Ponzelli" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

My thanks to Pete and Max.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

You're welcome - thanks for feeding back.

Pete