Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Before_Save IS KILLING ME

I have a regular sub where the user is given the option to save; if they
enter a filename, then I want Excel to go to a specific tab and copy the
values from one range and paste to another range (same tab) prior to the
save. Excel gets over to the before save sub in ThisWorkbook okay, but it
does none of the events in the before save sub. I've put in breakpoints, and
when stepping through, it just goes through the lines of code in the before
save sub, but doesn't actually act on any of them, like it went into a coma.
I'm at my wits end as to why this is happening; have tried everything I can
think of, but still it does not work. Enable events is on. Can someone
enlighten me PLEASE???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you have On Error Resume Next comment it out to see if you are generating
errors that are being ignored...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Paige" wrote:

I have a regular sub where the user is given the option to save; if they
enter a filename, then I want Excel to go to a specific tab and copy the
values from one range and paste to another range (same tab) prior to the
save. Excel gets over to the before save sub in ThisWorkbook okay, but it
does none of the events in the before save sub. I've put in breakpoints, and
when stepping through, it just goes through the lines of code in the before
save sub, but doesn't actually act on any of them, like it went into a coma.
I'm at my wits end as to why this is happening; have tried everything I can
think of, but still it does not work. Enable events is on. Can someone
enlighten me PLEASE???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I never get any error messages (and don't have any on error resume next).
When I step thru the code via breakpoint, it just goes over to the
before_save and thru all the lines of code, but doesn't act on them. Am at a
loss.

"Paige" wrote:

I have a regular sub where the user is given the option to save; if they
enter a filename, then I want Excel to go to a specific tab and copy the
values from one range and paste to another range (same tab) prior to the
save. Excel gets over to the before save sub in ThisWorkbook okay, but it
does none of the events in the before save sub. I've put in breakpoints, and
when stepping through, it just goes through the lines of code in the before
save sub, but doesn't actually act on any of them, like it went into a coma.
I'm at my wits end as to why this is happening; have tried everything I can
think of, but still it does not work. Enable events is on. Can someone
enlighten me PLEASE???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jay Jay is offline

Paige,

Reduce your BeforeSave event procedure and let us know if it the message box
appears:

msgbox "The messagebox statement works..."

Jay

"Paige" wrote:

I have a regular sub where the user is given the option to save; if they
enter a filename, then I want Excel to go to a specific tab and copy the
values from one range and paste to another range (same tab) prior to the
save. Excel gets over to the before save sub in ThisWorkbook okay, but it
does none of the events in the before save sub. I've put in breakpoints, and
when stepping through, it just goes through the lines of code in the before
save sub, but doesn't actually act on any of them, like it went into a coma.
I'm at my wits end as to why this is happening; have tried everything I can
think of, but still it does not work. Enable events is on. Can someone
enlighten me PLEASE???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, Jay; yes, it does appear. Below is the sub in ThisWorkbook. It will
get to this sub, but doesn't reprotect the two sheets or copy the data in the
Instructions tab; but I don't get any error message either. If I put the
code into a standard module and run it, it works fine.

Application.EnableEvents = True
Worksheets("SNT").Protect Password:="xxx", DrawingObjects:=True,
Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True
ActiveSheet.EnableSelection = xlNoRestrictions
Worksheets("SNT OS").Protect Password:="xxx", DrawingObjects:=True,
Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True
ActiveSheet.EnableSelection = xlNoRestrictions
Worksheets("Instructions").Unprotect Password:="xxx"
Worksheets("Instructions").Select
Range("H203:AJ204").Select
Selection.Copy
Range("H212:AJ213").Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValuesAndNumberFormats, Operation:= _
xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
Application.CutCopyMode = False

"Paige" wrote:

I have a regular sub where the user is given the option to save; if they
enter a filename, then I want Excel to go to a specific tab and copy the
values from one range and paste to another range (same tab) prior to the
save. Excel gets over to the before save sub in ThisWorkbook okay, but it
does none of the events in the before save sub. I've put in breakpoints, and
when stepping through, it just goes through the lines of code in the before
save sub, but doesn't actually act on any of them, like it went into a coma.
I'm at my wits end as to why this is happening; have tried everything I can
think of, but still it does not work. Enable events is on. Can someone
enlighten me PLEASE???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

P.S. The file save verbiage that I have in a standard module is as follows:

MsgBox ("Save the file now; otherwise, select 'Cancel'.")
Application.EnableEvents = True
FName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(InitialFileName:="",
FileFilter:="Microsoft Excel Workbook (*.xls), *.xls")
If FName < False Then
Application.EnableEvents = True
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=FName, FileFormat:=xlWorkbookNormal
End If

"Paige" wrote:

I have a regular sub where the user is given the option to save; if they
enter a filename, then I want Excel to go to a specific tab and copy the
values from one range and paste to another range (same tab) prior to the
save. Excel gets over to the before save sub in ThisWorkbook okay, but it
does none of the events in the before save sub. I've put in breakpoints, and
when stepping through, it just goes through the lines of code in the before
save sub, but doesn't actually act on any of them, like it went into a coma.
I'm at my wits end as to why this is happening; have tried everything I can
think of, but still it does not work. Enable events is on. Can someone
enlighten me PLEASE???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jay Jay is offline

Hi Paige -

Your code works perfectly on my machine. The only thing I didn't see in the
BeforeSave event code you sent was an "End Sub" statement at the end. I'm
just assuming you missed it when copying the code, but we need to make sure
before proceeding. Without it, the code stalls with an error when compiling
- not exactly the behavior you describe, but we need to eliminate all
possibilities...

Otherwise, what version of Windows and Excel are you running? Your code
works properly on my WinXP/Excel2003 installation.
--
Jay

"Paige" wrote:

I have a regular sub where the user is given the option to save; if they
enter a filename, then I want Excel to go to a specific tab and copy the
values from one range and paste to another range (same tab) prior to the
save. Excel gets over to the before save sub in ThisWorkbook okay, but it
does none of the events in the before save sub. I've put in breakpoints, and
when stepping through, it just goes through the lines of code in the before
save sub, but doesn't actually act on any of them, like it went into a coma.
I'm at my wits end as to why this is happening; have tried everything I can
think of, but still it does not work. Enable events is on. Can someone
enlighten me PLEASE???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi, Jay. Re the 'end sub', I just missed copying it over; sorry. Am using
WinXP/Excel 2003 also. Let me ask a theory question. When I put in
breakpoints and run through the code, does Excel REALLY process each line of
code in the same order that I see it stepped through in terms of when the
before_save event is triggered? Or is there some behind the scenes stuff
going on in terms of order of processing that wouldn't be readily apparent to
me? Hope this is not a totally stupid question.

"Paige" wrote:

I have a regular sub where the user is given the option to save; if they
enter a filename, then I want Excel to go to a specific tab and copy the
values from one range and paste to another range (same tab) prior to the
save. Excel gets over to the before save sub in ThisWorkbook okay, but it
does none of the events in the before save sub. I've put in breakpoints, and
when stepping through, it just goes through the lines of code in the before
save sub, but doesn't actually act on any of them, like it went into a coma.
I'm at my wits end as to why this is happening; have tried everything I can
think of, but still it does not work. Enable events is on. Can someone
enlighten me PLEASE???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jay Jay is offline

Hi Paige - Stop the presses! Here's what's wrong along with a solution.

Your code executes perfectly; just not on the right workbook. The cause of
the apparent 'coma' is that your BeforeSave event procedure manipulates the
original workbook, not the "new" workbook that is being created.

The SaveAs method does fire the BeforeSave event in the original workbook as
you discovered, but while you are stepping through that procedure, the
statements are operating on 'itself' because the procedure is in the
ThisWorkbook module, but what is visible on screen is the new workbook you're
creating. This results in the illusion of the coma.

After the whole procedure terminates, the original workbook closes in the
background without saving and you're left with the newly saved workbook (with
no protection or copied cells).

A solution is to blend the Code from the BeforeSave event with the code
sample that starts the process. After doing this, don't forget to delete the
BeforeSave event procedure; it's no longer necessary.

Here's the blended solution:

Sub StartSave()
If MsgBox("Save the file now?", vbYesNo) = vbYes Then

'Start of your original BeforeSave code
Application.EnableEvents = True
Application.ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("SNT").Prote ct Password:="xxx",
DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True
ActiveSheet.EnableSelection = xlNoRestrictions
Application.ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("SNT OS").Protect Password:="xxx",
DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True
ActiveSheet.EnableSelection = xlNoRestrictions
Worksheets("Instructions").Unprotect Password:="xxx"
Application.ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Instruction s").Select
Application.ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("H203 :AJ204").Select
Selection.Copy
Application.ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("H212 :AJ213").Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValuesAndNumberFormats, Operation:= _
xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
Application.CutCopyMode = False
'End of your original BeforeSave code

"Paige" wrote:

I have a regular sub where the user is given the option to save; if they
enter a filename, then I want Excel to go to a specific tab and copy the
values from one range and paste to another range (same tab) prior to the
save. Excel gets over to the before save sub in ThisWorkbook okay, but it
does none of the events in the before save sub. I've put in breakpoints, and
when stepping through, it just goes through the lines of code in the before
save sub, but doesn't actually act on any of them, like it went into a coma.
I'm at my wits end as to why this is happening; have tried everything I can
think of, but still it does not work. Enable events is on. Can someone
enlighten me PLEASE???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jay Jay is offline

Paige - It's of no funtional consequence, but this statement is incorrect in
may 'solution' post: "...but what is visible on screen is the new workbook
you're creating."

You actually see the original file (until the very end of the procedure),
but the screen is static so you don't see any activity (the coma).
Regardless, the solution still applies. I just wanted to correct that error
in my description.
--
Jay

"Paige" wrote:

I have a regular sub where the user is given the option to save; if they
enter a filename, then I want Excel to go to a specific tab and copy the
values from one range and paste to another range (same tab) prior to the
save. Excel gets over to the before save sub in ThisWorkbook okay, but it
does none of the events in the before save sub. I've put in breakpoints, and
when stepping through, it just goes through the lines of code in the before
save sub, but doesn't actually act on any of them, like it went into a coma.
I'm at my wits end as to why this is happening; have tried everything I can
think of, but still it does not work. Enable events is on. Can someone
enlighten me PLEASE???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm flabbergasted. This seemingly small little tidbit obviously has drastic
implications; in all my readings, I don't recall this being explained. It
works correctly now. Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!! You're a
genius, and thanks for sticking with me on this one!