Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel Find/Replace OR AutoCorrect...

I need some help...I am trying to find and replace phone numbers from
the numbers to the persons name. I import my "phone bill" from the
website and it opens in excel with all the peoples phone numbers. I
want it to show instead of the phone numbers the persons name. I
tried adding the phone numbers as well as the persons name in the
Autocorrect options but unfortunately this only works when I type in
the actual data. Since im importing it in, Autocorrect is not working.
I thought maybe find and replace might work too but that only gives me
one line at a time and i would have to type in the numbers and persons
name. I've tried looking this up online and it looks like the only way
to do this is to create a macro or something. I'm not too familiar
with that aspect of excel. Can someone show me or create a macro for
me that does this? I know im probably going to have to create a
spreadsheet with Column A and Column B but what else do i do? Any help
is greatly appreciated ... thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rather than replace the person's phone number, why not add a column next to
it with the persons name.

assume you have another sheet named CrossWalk

Phone Name
1112224455 Bill
1112221111 Mike

in the bill sheet, insert a new column next to the phone numbers

Assume the phone number is in C3
in D3 put in
=vlookup(C3,CrossWalk!A:B,2,False)

then drag fill down the column.

No programming required.

If you don't want the phone numbers, then select column D and do edit=copy,
then Edit=Paste Special and select values.

then delete column C.

Tom Ogilvy

"Kapi187" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hey Thanks!
I never thought about that command but it works great! thanks!