Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tia Tia is offline

Default How to Sum

I've got a table that has multiple columns. We are using it to calculate
payroll....It looks like the following....
Pay Period 1
A B C
Allred, C. 1500.00 25.45
Hills, J. 1750.00 25.45
Smith, J. 1500.00 25.45

Pay Period 2
Allred, C. 1500.00 25.45
Hills, J. 1750.00 25.45
Smith, J. 1500.00 25.45

I need a formula that looks at Column A, when it says "Allred, C." it then
calculates column B so that I have a total for both pay periods. I'm at a
loss as to what the formula should look like....

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=SUMIF(A:A, "Allred, C.",B:B )

This will look at Column A and sum the blocks in Column B if Column A
is "Allred, C.". Hope this helps, jcd

On Feb 27, 2:07 pm, Tia wrote:
I've got a table that has multiple columns. We are using it to calculate
payroll....It looks like the following....
Pay Period 1
A B C
Allred, C. 1500.00 25.45
Hills, J. 1750.00 25.45
Smith, J. 1500.00 25.45

Pay Period 2
Allred, C. 1500.00 25.45
Hills, J. 1750.00 25.45
Smith, J. 1500.00 25.45

I need a formula that looks at Column A, when it says "Allred, C." it then
calculates column B so that I have a total for both pay periods. I'm at a
loss as to what the formula should look like....

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

assume allred, C. is in a1

in D1 put in the formula
=sumif(A:A,A1,B:B)

then drag fill down column D as far as necessary.

Tom Ogilvy