Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Automatic sorting

I have a sheet of 6 columns. I want excel to sort automatically the
first two columns. The first column is Names and the second is an
item number. Since this is an inventory sheet, i will have several of
the same name in the first column, but the second column will never
have a repeating number. When i enter new data, is there a way for
excel to automatically place the new entry into its appropriate spot
alphabetically. Right now, i have to sort the item number column,
then the name column in order to achieve the effect that i want. I
know of the sort button, but if someone other than myself enters the
data there could be a problem. i work with people that need things as
simple as possible, or they will find a way to screw it up. ne help
would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

First, I wouldn't make the process to automatic. Make a typo and the sort could
put it someplace difficult to find. Instead, I'd do one of these.

#1. In xl2003, you can apply data|filter|autofilter to the range and use the
dropdown arrow to sort your data.

#2. Debra Dalgleish has a technique at her site that adds invisible rectangles
in the headers and then sorts the data by that field when you click on one of
those rectangles.

http://contextures.com/xlSort02.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

#1. *In xl2003, you can apply data|filter|autofilter to the range and use the
dropdown arrow to sort your data.

#2. *Debra Dalgleish has a technique at her site that adds invisible rectangles

#3. *Just record a macro that sorts it exactly the way you want--no options at
all. *Then execute that macro when you want to.

If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm

wrote:

I have a sheet of 6 columns. *I want excel to sort automatically the
first two columns. *The first column is Names and the second is an
item number. *Since this is an inventory sheet, i will have several of
the same name in the first column, but the second column will never
have a repeating number. *When i enter new data, is there a way for
excel to automatically place the new entry into its appropriate spot
alphabetically. *Right now, i have to sort the item number column,
then the name column in order to achieve the effect that i want. *I
know of the sort button, but if someone other than myself enters the
data there could be a problem. *i work with people that need things as
simple as possible, or they will find a way to screw it up. *ne help
would be appreciated.

--

Dave Peterson

is there a way to make this automatic. I am just curious as to how
smooth the program runs. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could use an event macro that sorted as soon as you made a change in column
B. But if you have to add something in column C:X, then the row has disappeared
and you'll have to go find it.

And if you made a typo, it might difficult to find.

Why not just do all your data entry and then sort it whenever you want using the
recorded macro?

#1. In xl2003, you can apply data|filter|autofilter to the range and use the
dropdown arrow to sort your data.

#2. Debra Dalgleish has a technique at her site that adds invisible rectangles