Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Reducing Size of the file

Dear All,

I have workwbook in which I have inserted a number of small images.
Now, the size of the files (Obviously) has increased manyfolds when
all the pictures are inserted.

Is there, a way with which I can find out which picture is causing how
much increase (effect) on the size of the file. I can do it manually
by deleteing each picture one by one and recording/ comparing the new
size with the old size. But since there are a number of images this
could be very time consuming for way?

Can any one of you experts out there guide me on the best way to work
this out? Any help is deeply appreciated.

Regards
Ankur

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Feb 23, 9:42 am, "ankur" wrote:
Dear All,

I have workwbook in which I have inserted a number of small images.
Now, the size of the files (Obviously) has increased manyfolds when
all the pictures are inserted.

Is there, a way with which I can find out which picture is causing how
much increase (effect) on the size of the file. I can do it manually
by deleteing each picture one by one and recording/ comparing the new
size with the old size. But since there are a number of images this
could be very time consuming for way?

Can any one of you experts out there guide me on the best way to work
this out? Any help is deeply appreciated.

Hi Ankur,

You could do one of the following ...
1. zip your workbook and then use it.
2. tar and then zip you workbook..
3. or make a rar file and then use it .
4. use .jpeg files inspite of .bmp files.
4.convert the images to less resolution .

hope that would help .

Regards
Ankur

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Feb 23, 4:42 am, "ankur" wrote:
Dear All,

I have workwbook in which I have inserted a number of small images.
Now, the size of the files (Obviously) has increased manyfolds when
all the pictures are inserted.

How big is big? If you add 100 1MB images to a spreadsheet then
obviously it will be 100MB.

However, it is sometimes possible that adding 100 20kb images to a
spreadsheet or Word document can produce a vastly bloated file many
times larger than the images it contains. Unclear exactly how it
happens, but documents worked on by several users seem to be
particularly prone to this getting out of hand.

The worst I have ever seen was about 4MB of image content in a file
that had grown to a total size of 80MB (mostly consisting of orphanned
WMF & BMP image relics). You can avoid excessive growth in file size
by never putting a new image onto an existing one and making sure that
any images you do put in are small JPEGs to begin with. The same thing
happens in Word with monotonous regularity but in that specific case
saving the final version as a PDF is a quick and dirty fix.

Is there, a way with which I can find out which picture is causing how
much increase (effect) on the size of the file. I can do it manually
by deleteing each picture one by one and recording/ comparing the new
size with the old size. But since there are a number of images this
could be very time consuming for way?

I used to have a script that did this automatically but it stopped
working sometime last year after a security update. Now the file can
be squished by deleting all the images, but if you add them again
manually you get a sensible size but if you add them with the script
you end up with a file slightly bigger than the orginal bloated size.

The knowledge base tells fibs about this problem.

Can any one of you experts out there guide me on the best way to work
this out? Any help is deeply appreciated.

You can fairly easily check how big the full set of images and the
spreadsheet ought to be by using Save As HTML and looking in the
directory Spreadsheetname_files to see what other dross the thing has
included for you. It is not uncommon for there to be at least two
copies of large images and sometimes vast metafiles if the user has
put an image in by drag and drop from certain other applications and
on top of a pre-existing image (at least that it one way I can make it
occur fairly reproducibly). &Insert, &Picture, from &File is generally
well behaved by comparison.

The HTML version suitably trimmed of the dross if it is significantly
smaller than the XLS file might even be preferable if your data is all
static and does not require spreadsheet functionality.

I have previously posted about this issue of image bloat in the Word
newsgroup but AFAIK nothing has come of it. The Word problem has been
resolved here by exporting final drafts as PDF files to archiive with
a space saving of about 10-40x for the most problematic reports where
images have been added in a particularly unfortunate manner.

Regards,
Martin Brown