Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default averaging

excel 2003

have long lists of data entry (column one days, column two week average),
need to be able to drag down along column (B) rather than retype specific
cells to average, problem comes in when dragging it will average 2:3
procedding average 1:2

A B
1 average 1:2
2 average 3:4
3
4

sounds simple but I cant figure it out, would greatly appreciate any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Use =AVERAGE(INDEX(A:A,ROW(A1)*2-1),INDEX(A:A,ROW(A1)*2))
and copy down the column
If you data spans, for example, A5:A100, replace A:A by A5:A100 but leave A1
alone in the formula
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"fcs13" wrote in message
excel 2003

have long lists of data entry (column one days, column two week average),
need to be able to drag down along column (B) rather than retype specific
cells to average, problem comes in when dragging it will average 2:3
procedding average 1:2

A B
1 average 1:2
2 average 3:4
3
4

sounds simple but I cant figure it out, would greatly appreciate any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

minor detail, formula works great, right function, but i can't manipulate it
to average seven days from column a into column b then repeating, rather than
two
thanks for your time.

"fcs13" wrote in message
excel 2003

have long lists of data entry (column one days, column two week average),
need to be able to drag down along column (B) rather than retype specific
cells to average, problem comes in when dragging it will average 2:3
procedding average 1:2

A B
1 average 1:2
2 average 3:4
3
4

sounds simple but I cant figure it out, would greatly appreciate any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=AVERAGE(INDEX(A:A,ROW(A1)*7-6),INDEX(A:A,ROW(A1)*7))
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme