Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Multiple Lists from Unique Data

Ok so I am not exactly sure where to begin coding this, I am not very
advanced with vb. My task is to take a list, i.e: (I am getting this
list from MySql from an Access Database and dumping it into an empty
sheet-I already have this working)

AA 1 A1
BB 2 A2
CC 3 A3
CC 4 A4
CC 5 A4
CC 6 A5
CC 7 A6
DD 8 A7
DD 9 A7
DD 10 A7
EE 11 A8
EE 12 A9
FF 13 A10
GG 14 A11
GG 14 A12
GG 14 A13

And create an index(a new list) for each unique combination, stripping
all of the repeat values, i.e:

AA 1 A1
------------------------
BB 2 A2
------------------------
CC 3 A3
4 A4
5
6 A5
7 A6
------------------------
DD 8 A7
DD 9
DD 10

This is sort of an example of what I want but not exactly, because
what I need to be able to do in the end is have validation lists,
where you click on one list then the next list changes to the
corresponding cell. I am not too worried about how to do the
validation, I just need to get the lists setup so that I can start
working on that part. The part I have is:(The first list)

AA
BB
CC
DD
EE
FF
GG
HH
etc...

After the first list, it needs to be able to break off into the the
other unique list...
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assume the first row of your data contains column headers. (if not, make it
so).

Select your data and do Data=filter=Advanced filter, in the dialog, on the
lower left, click the Uniques checkbox. Select copy to and then select the
destination cell. (you can leave criteria blank). this should give you the
second list you show. Not sure what you want after that.

Another option is to select your data and do Data=filter=autofilter. Now
select the dropdowns at the top of each column and I believe they will
already do what you are trying to do. So maybe you don't need to do
anything beyond applying an Autofilter.

Tom Ogilvy