Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default File size keeps fluctuating wildly!

I'm developing a financial calculator which has lots of VBA code, a few
charts, and some basic UI stuff. It seems every time I open it and save it,
the size varies anywhere between 4 and 7 meg even though I open it with the
Shift key held down, and I have ThisWorkbook.KeepChangeHistory = False in the
Workbook_Open even handler and other places.

I've also tried stuff like deleting all unused rows and columns out to
IV65536, setting global formats and making very few exceptions, etc., and it
makes a difference, but only temporarily. I've even tried repeatedly opening
it (with Shift down), making one tiny change, and saving it to minimize the
size of the Undo buffer, but the size still fluctuates.

Any ideas out there?

--

--Andy Smith
Senior Systems Analyst

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Andy Smith;7300065 Wrote:
I change one cell -- ONE cell! -- I save it,
and it's 300MB bigger, from 4,099K to 4,314K. Come on now!

Andy, which cell are you changing?, how are you changing it? f
rom what to what? using vba? using data from another sheet?,
copy n paste?, if you cant post your workbook give us something to go
on!

Regards,
Simon

P.S by the way it's 300MB bigger, from 4,099K to 4,314Kit's only 300Kb bigger!,
try this create a new workbook add some simple formula, save it, close
it note the size,
copy it to a new folder note the size open it, save it, close it and
check the size!, sometimes
excel shows a workbook to be smaller than it is when VBA or formulas
havent changed in a
new workbook - grasping at straws there but i had something similar but
the workbook grew
2Mb.....if your being honest is 300Kb too much?

--
Simon Lloyd
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There's one cell which contains the build information for the software. It's
in a hidden sheet, and all its cells have all default formats, no exceptions.
That cell has one of four words, Debug, Alpha, Beta or Release, and that's
validated with a conditional format specifying a 1x4 range with those words.

So to make the different builds, I open the workbook with Shift down to
start in Design mode, run a macro that unprotects all sheets and the
workbook, manually change the cell, run another macro to protect all sheets
and the workbook, turn on Design mode again, and save. But even if I do
everything manually in Design mode all the way (unprotecting just the one
sheet), the size goes nuts.

I've even tried exporting, deleting and re-importing all modules, forms and
class modules -- nothing.

--

--Andy Smith