Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Searching for words used in VBA code

Has anybody heard af a Windows Desktop Search "i-filter" (or any other means
for that matter) that enables search-indexing of words in VBA code ?

I often make VBA "goodies" in Excel spreadsheets, but often forget in which
spreadsheet a specific piece of code is stored. Normal windows search cannot
find Excel spreadsheets with specific words in the VBA code. I have for this
reason tried to make a habit of exporting the code to ascii files (.bas), as
such files can be indexed . However it is difficult to be systematic when the
*** has hit the fan, which it often do.

So having Windows Desktop Search indexing words used in in Excel VBA code
would be wonderful.

Best regards

Morten

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

fwiw
i keep a master word document into which i paste all my module &
worksheet codes.. then when i'm looking for something i can search the
word document. that document also tells me what excel document the
code is located in; however, since i have the code sitting right in
front of me, i generally cut & paste from there. but you can search
for a keyword quickly & easily & find out what document the macro is
in.
susan

On Feb 21, 4:54 am, Morten Hvidberg-Knudsen <Morten Hvidberg-
wrote:
Has anybody heard af a Windows Desktop Search "i-filter" (or any other means
for that matter) that enables search-indexing of words in VBA code ?

I often make VBA "goodies" in Excel spreadsheets, but often forget in which
spreadsheet a specific piece of code is stored. Normal windows search cannot
find Excel spreadsheets with specific words in the VBA code. I have for this
reason tried to make a habit of exporting the code to ascii files (.bas), as
such files can be indexed . However it is difficult to be systematic when the
*** has hit the fan, which it often do.

So having Windows Desktop Search indexing words used in in Excel VBA code
would be wonderful.

Best regards

Morten

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The VBA environment's Edit/Find command has the option to search a whole
project, so if you remember which Excel file has the code you want, open it,
open VBA, open any code window, and use that option with Edit/Find.

--

--Andy Smith

"Morten Hvidberg-Knudsen" wrote:

Has anybody heard af a Windows Desktop Search "i-filter" (or any other means
for that matter) that enables search-indexing of words in VBA code ?

I often make VBA "goodies" in Excel spreadsheets, but often forget in which
spreadsheet a specific piece of code is stored. Normal windows search cannot
find Excel spreadsheets with specific words in the VBA code. I have for this
reason tried to make a habit of exporting the code to ascii files (.bas), as
such files can be indexed . However it is difficult to be systematic when the
*** has hit the fan, which it often do.

So having Windows Desktop Search indexing words used in in Excel VBA code
would be wonderful.

Best regards

Morten

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Susan

Yes I do realize that I should work more systematically. The problem is I
dont.
For instance in my Outlook I should organize my mails, so that I easily
could locate the important ones, and not just leaving them in the inbox .
Windows Desktop Search has helped me out of the result of this mess.
I had hoped there was an easy way to get WDS to locate VBA code in Excel
Spreadsheets.
By the way: I wonder how text in VBA code, even comments, are "scrambled" in
suc a way that Windows Search (which I suppose look for bit patterns
representing the search text in ASCII representation) cannot find specific
words in the code.

But thanks anyway

Morten

wrote:
Has anybody heard af a Windows Desktop Search "i-filter" (or any other means
for that matter) that enables search-indexing of words in VBA code ?

I often make VBA "goodies" in Excel spreadsheets, but often forget in which
spreadsheet a specific piece of code is stored. Normal windows search cannot
find Excel spreadsheets with specific words in the VBA code. I have for this
reason tried to make a habit of exporting the code to ascii files (.bas), as
such files can be indexed . However it is difficult to be systematic when the
*** has hit the fan, which it often do.

So having Windows Desktop Search indexing words used in in Excel VBA code
would be wonderful.

Best regards

Morten

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

i didn't mean to imply how you SHOULD work. i was just offering an
idea of what i do. sorry if i offended you.
susan

wrote:
Has anybody heard af a Windows Desktop Search "i-filter" (or any other means
for that matter) that enables search-indexing of words in VBA code ?

I often make VBA "goodies" in Excel spreadsheets, but often forget in which
spreadsheet a specific piece of code is stored. Normal windows search cannot
find Excel spreadsheets with specific words in the VBA code. I have for this
reason tried to make a habit of exporting the code to ascii files (.bas), as
such files can be indexed . However it is difficult to be systematic when the
*** has hit the fan, which it often do.

So having Windows Desktop Search indexing words used in in Excel VBA code
would be wonderful.

Best regards

Morten- Hide quoted text -