Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default date format change when opening file with vb

When opening a file by simply double clicking, the dates in the file remain
in UK format.

When opening the file as part of a macro, the dates where the the day is
greater than 12 switches to US format.

Does anyone know how I can stop the dates switching to US format?

Thanks

David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
I presume that you are using the OpenText method to import the
info, which has a series of two-element arrays.

If yes, then the second element is a data type that interprets the
info. Use '4' to ensure the data is set in the DMY format.

Rob Edwards

Always look on the bright side of life!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
The 4 is the data type that imports dates in the DMY format. For
instance...

Workbooks.OpenText Filename:="GRAHAM", Origin:=xlWindows _
, StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=Array(Array(0,
4), Array( _
23, 9), Array(26, 1)

The arrays above are in the form Array(n, m). The n = start position,
the m = data type.

The full list for the data types (m) is...

1 General Data
2 Text
3 MDY
4 DMY
5 YMD
6 MYD
7 DYM
8 YDM
9 Skipped

Therefore, from the first array above:

Array(0, 4) Start position 0 & import as DMY
Array(23, 9) Start position 23 & skip
Array(26, 1) Start position 26 & import as general data