Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Change Settings in Find Dialog Box

I want a macro that will change the default setting in the Find or Find and
Replace dialog box to search by "columns" instead of rows, and look in
"values" instead of formulas.

I'm glad all of you are there to help people like me.
--
Thank you... Elaine
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One way:

Put this in the ThisWorkbook code module of your Personal.xls workbook:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Worksheets(1).Cells.Find What:=vbNullString, _
LookIn:=xlValues, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns
End Sub

Note that the Find dialog retains the settings of previous finds, so the
new "defaults" won't come up if you do a search by rows and look in
formulas.

In article ,
Elaine wrote:

I want a macro that will change the default setting in the Find or Find and
Replace dialog box to search by "columns" instead of rows, and look in
"values" instead of formulas.

I'm glad all of you are there to help people like me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This is what I have in the Personal Workbook and it does not work for me.
What am I doing wrong?
Sub Custom_Find_Dialog()
'
' Custom_Find_Dialog Macro
'

'
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Worksheets(1).Cells.Find What:=vbNullString, _
LookIn:=xlValues, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns
Thank you so much for your help... Elaine

Elaine wrote:

I want a macro that will change the default setting in the Find or Find and
Replace dialog box to search by "columns" instead of rows, and look in
"values" instead of formulas.

I'm glad all of you are there to help people like me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You shouldn't have the

Sub Custom_Find_Dialog()

line. In fact, what you've shown *should* give you a compile error.

Make sure that the Workbook_Open() macro is in the ThisWorkbook module,
not a regular code module.

Elaine wrote:

I want a macro that will change the default setting in the Find or Find
and
Replace dialog box to search by "columns" instead of rows, and look in
"values" instead of formulas.

I'm glad all of you are there to help people like me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

JE wrote to put this code:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Worksheets(1).Cells.Find What:=vbNullString, _
LookIn:=xlValues, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns
End Sub

behind the ThisWorkbook module in your personal.xls workbook's project.

Don't try to bury it in an existing subroutine (like custom_find_document).

By using Workbook_Open under ThisWorkbook, then the code will run each time
excel opens this file. By using personal.xls (in your XLStart folder), excel
will open that file each time it starts.

Elaine wrote:

I want a macro that will change the default setting in the Find or Find and
Replace dialog box to search by "columns" instead of rows, and look in
"values" instead of formulas.

I'm glad all of you are there to help people like me.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It works!!! I'm soooo glad for people like you that have the patience and
expertise to help others!!!
--
Thank you... Elaine

Elaine wrote:

I want a macro that will change the default setting in the Find or Find
and
Replace dialog box to search by "columns" instead of rows, and look in
"values" instead of formulas.

I'm glad all of you are there to help people like me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What incredible people all of you are!!!
--
A BIG thank you... Elaine