Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Function condition statement

Trying to create an aid for my micro economics work for Price Elasticities.
I need to create a conditional statement in absolute value for the following;

For the cell b14 (Price Elasticity Demand)

B14=0,"Perfectly inelastic Demand"
B14=1,"Unit-elastic"
B141,"Elastic"
B14<1 and 0, "Inelastic"

*all numbers need to be displayed in Absolute Value
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi David,

Try:
=IF(B14=0,"Perfectly inelastic Demand",IF(B14<1,"Inelastic",IF(B14=1,"Unit-elastic","Elastic")))
Note: Negative values not handled. If you need to treat negative & positive values the same way, use absolutes (i.e. change all the
'B14' references to 'ABS(B14)'). To treat negative values as 0s, change 'B14=0' to 'B14<=0'. to eliminate negative values
altogether, wrap the above in 'IF(B14<0,"", ... )'

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"IIDavidJII" wrote in message ...
| Trying to create an aid for my micro economics work for Price Elasticities.
| I need to create a conditional statement in absolute value for the following;
|
| For the cell b14 (Price Elasticity Demand)
|
| B14=0,"Perfectly inelastic Demand"
| B14=1,"Unit-elastic"
| B141,"Elastic"
| B14<1 and 0, "Inelastic"
|
| *all numbers need to be displayed in Absolute Value

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"macropod" wrote:

Hi David,

Try:
=IF(B14=0,"Perfectly inelastic Demand",IF(B14<1,"Inelastic",IF(B14=1,"Unit-elastic","Elastic")))
Note: Negative values not handled. If you need to treat negative & positive values the same way, use absolutes (i.e. change all the
'B14' references to 'ABS(B14)'). To treat negative values as 0s, change 'B14=0' to 'B14<=0'. to eliminate negative values
altogether, wrap the above in 'IF(B14<0,"", ... )'

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"IIDavidJII" wrote in message ...
| Trying to create an aid for my micro economics work for Price Elasticities.
| I need to create a conditional statement in absolute value for the following;
|
| For the cell b14 (Price Elasticity Demand)
|
| B14=0,"Perfectly inelastic Demand"
| B14=1,"Unit-elastic"
| B141,"Elastic"
| B14<1 and 0, "Inelastic"
|
| *all numbers need to be displayed in Absolute Value

Wow thanks a lot. I was really struggling with how to properly nest functions. Now I understand, and I can pass this on to my fellow classmates for our economic homework. Thanks =)